Living with anal fistulas

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this site and looking for some advice please. I developed a rectal abscess in sept 2016 had it drained and continued to have recurrent abscesses. Eventually had an MRI which confirmed was a confirmed fistula in may 2017. I am currently 8 days post op insertion of a draining seton. I have had a course of metronidazole and currently started on clarithromycin as I have developed an abscess in that area. I am struggling with the pain, in general and after every bowel movement. Struggling to take pain killers - cocodamol really constipates me and was started on tramadol which made me sick. My bottom cheek is very swollen and draining a significant amount of pus, even though on antibiotics. What I'm asking is does this pain last forever? Consultant said he was leaving it in for 2 years before he considered removing it. I don't think I can deal with this pain any longer. Haven't even thought about going back to work don't know how I will manage as I work on a busy hip fracture ward and literally don't stop the full 12 hours! I can't even walk or sit long periods of time without struggling. It's really affecting my mood now, husband has been great and supportive. I feel that knowone is telling me anything or understands how I feel.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, well please be strong. Normally the pain subsides after the surgical draining of abscess. I totally understand what you feel. I have gone through it Andy still am going through some treatments. Be patient and take effective treatments to reduce the pain and focus back on getting to work no matter what. I mean it in a good sense so that you could focus on dealing with the pain or in other words keeping yourself busy with thinking of something else. 
  • Posted

google the perianal abscess organisation, this may give you some help. This affects everyone differently and what works for one person may not work for another. But really staying as clean as you can. I used the shower head to clean the area multiple times a day not just bowel movements. It does ease off but it takes a while and I was the same as you with the pain killers and could not take them. Get as much horizontal rest time as you can. It boring but if you can sleep the lack of movement really helped me to heal the wound quicker.

Good luck I hope you are well soon. Any other questions just ask.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.