Living with aortic aneurysm at 72 yrs of age.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good day. Are there any fellow aortic aneurysm's fellow suffers  out there deciding to live with it, forgoing surgery? I'm 72 years old. I'm at 4.8 started out at 4.2, 8  years ago. I have a  leaky aortic valve as well. I hear there's a new way to judge surgery/ it used to be 5.0 or 5.5 now they take your height and weight into consideration. I'd love to hear from anyone over 70 who's just said to heck with  this I'm going to live with it and not have surgery. Any feedback? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Larry22567.

I am not over 70 & female but I am suffering from AAA  measuring 3.9 cms only + Atherioslerosis (hardening of the arteries) at the tender age of 65 now,although I knew I had a AAA 6 years ago..so at just 59 years old.

I have discharged myself from hospital now due to a failed crossover graft in 2014 for the blocked arteries and I have spent year after year being pulled left right and centre to try and be optimised for the massive double whammy of them trying to repair the mess that will have to be done if I survive that is!The AAA is close to my kidney and that also poses a problem which I could lose 1 leg,both legs or end up on dialysis so either way I;m stuffed.My weight is too low at just 37 kilo so I give up on the idea of not bothering any more.

I say live for today,enjoy what time you have left which could be years from now, and no matter what  Larry,something will get us in the end so don't sweat about it..you never know it may never grow and your leaky valve hopefully will mend.

Wishing you all the best and good luck.wink

• Posted

Thank you for that... "live for today" is where I am leaning... appreciate you taking the time to write... 

• Posted

When the choice is die or live I bet on live every time.

I had a similar choice with aortic stenosis when they said it would kill me within two years. Five years on at 83 I hope that I outlive my slowly growing AAA.

• Posted

Thank you.... all the best... I toast to your aging well... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.