Living with cervical osteoarthritis-what helps?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone,

I am only 35 and have been diagnosed with OA. I was perfectly fit and healthy, restarted my regular gym routine last August. But this time I did it with a personal trainer to keep me on track. I gradually started lifting more heavy and started to do pull ups. Weeks later came down with a pain in my back (latissimus dorsai muscle) with both hands going numb in my sleep, and also slight numbness in legs- mainly feet during sleep, and having frequent pins and needles sensation in my arms and legs. I was told by GP that it was just a muscle spasm. Weeks later pain shifted to my neck, so i saw a chiropractor (once a week). Weeks later I stated to feel unsteady and having migraine with aura (temporary loss of vision, lasting 30 sec. 2 episodes in a span of weeks). That's when i stopped exercising. I was prescribed propranolol for migraine and unsteadiness, which helped. I also had an MRI scan, which showed osteophytes complex (bone spurs) without nerve compression. It is now almost 9 months I am living with the pain in my neck. I avoid having painkillers. I work a desk-based job, but even with fully ergonomic set up and standing desk, I still get neck pain (that then may give general tiredness and pain in my back) more towards the lunch time and I still get numbness symptoms at night. I do regular neck exercises, go on daily walks (30 min) and started taking Unhydrolysed Collagen Type II more than a month ago(there is some evidence it helps with OA related sports injuries). I just wonder if there is any hope that the pain will get better ( or go away)? Please, I would be grateful if you could share your story and if it does get better, how long the episodes last? What does work for you? Thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.