Living with depression and Venlafaxine

Posted , 10 users are following.

I posted for a while on here over a year ago as had been on Venlafaxine for 40 years ! I was encouraged to wean off by medical friends and used the procedure of an australian lady ( OZ) cant recall number. She had weaned off satisfactorily so I used her ideas. It all worked very well till I got rightdown almost to nil and then the depression came back with a bang ! I finally went to my GP , crying all over the place and of course he was most concerned. I quite happily went back on the drug, anything to feel better !. After 2-3 weeks I began to feel so much better and thougnt I could be stable on tbe drug again. However , after a few months I started waking in the morning with depression. It would often lift during the morning. Now , I'm all over the place. Frequently have depression though on full dose of meds. I get lifted out of it when in company of others ( I am widowed and live on my own ( not very happily ) and generally am struggling ) I just dont know whats going on a d am wondering if theres anyone else suffering similarly ? I would so welcome some input .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Winifred,

I was on a different anti-depressant, Prozac, and quit after 20 years. I too had the depression come back with the force of a tonne of bricks - way worse than when I first went on them. Now I am in the same position. I can't seem to get back to where I was, and I am not coping very well as I am alone mostly. Previously I was fine with just my own company. I'm not sure what the answer is other than a med change. I avoid those as they always make me worse before they make me better (if they do at all that is).

• Posted

Hi. Been alone whether or not you suffer of any mental illness , it can be depressive. But maybe you are not taking the right meds. Not sure where do you live but im in USA, and i was not having any results after using sertraline 75mg for one year. Went back to my Ph and instead of switching to a different med he order an enzyme gene metabolism test to see what med works better for me according to my metabolism . Ended up switching taking venlafaxine. Just started and hoping to have better luck. Hope this helps!
  • Posted

Why dont you try another AD? There are so many different ones that may help you. So far I am on my 4th. First few didn't work for me. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello, how long have you been back on ven and what dose are you on? Your depression is lifted by the company of others, as its usually enjoyable, and because you have to focus your attention on them, and you stop worrying, ie thinking about things in your mind. You are focussing on something going on outside of your mind. Someone who is depressed, will focus inwards, ie in their mind, and worry or ruminate, which makes things worse. Being able to focus externally, isnt easy when depressed, but if you can find things to do that will make you do so, you will feel better. Forcing yourself to concentrate externally, or do things, will help, but when you are depressed is difficult, as you are not interested.
    • Posted

How long long have you been back on ven, what is your dose, when do you take it, and is it ectended or immediate release tablets, ie once or twice a day?
  • Posted

I know what you mean! If I'm late taking Venlafaxine I get weepy. I was on 450mg but I'm now to 37.5mg. Can't get off it thought. I have withdrawal symptoms such as flu like symptoms, anger, crying. When I take it though I do feel better and positive. I have piled on so much weight though and I'm very lazy now. I wish I could snap out of the fatigue I feel.

• Posted

I had the same thing happen in terms of coming off and depression/anxiety returning. Going back on the meds helped. If it's no longer working try switching to another medication. You may have to experiment with a few. Also consider a talking therapy.

• Posted

When venlafaxine stopped working for me i was afraid that the psychiatrist would tell me i had to stop taking it (with the withdrawal effects) and then try something else which might or might not work. I was pretty desperate at this point. However he ADDED mirtazapine to the venlafaxine and the combination has been very effective for me for the last 8 years.
    • Posted

That simple addition of a small amount of mirtazapine to ven, seems to be so effective for people. Tempted to try it in the future, although ven is working fine for me.
    • Posted

Nigel just jumping in here glad your ok how much venlafaxine you on I'm doing ok now I'm on 75mg twice a day can I also ask how's your appetite and sleeping I still have bother with my sleep xx

• Posted

Hello karen, glad you are doing okay. Im on 225mg, 3 doses of 75mg, split more or less evenly over the day. Ive always woken up 2 or 3 times during the night, but go back to sleep. Ven hasnt affected this in any way. Appetite is back, and is quite strong. I eat very healthily, but still have to be concious of not putting on weight. I lost weight before ven started working well, im not going to put it back on. Ven took a very long time to work for me, but improvements then snowballed, and im still improving. Regarding sleep, its dependant on anxiety levels, and it could be a while yet for yours to come down, possibly another 4 or 5 weeks, sometimes longer. When it does, your sleep should improve. Anxiety takes so long to come back down. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.