Living with Disc Issues

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.

So i herniated my L4-L5 lumbar disc (and minor abnormalities from L2 to L4) from doing too much weight on an inclined leg press and bad form. I also somehow caused bulging discs in my neck (cervical vertebrae, can't remember which ones) from either years of scrunching my neck during workouts or having my head pointed downwards for very long periods of time while working.

Both started out with very strong, radiating nerve pain, numbness, tingling etc that was horrible. For the neck, it was the side of the head, in the shoulder, and down the left arm. For my leg, it was in my left hip, down my left leg and all the way to my big toe. After anywhere from 2 to 5 years of seeing countless doctors, physical therapists, research, etc, i've finally been able to find solutions to my pain that got it down to a very manageable level.

So i've been using a combination of an inversion table, an inflatable neck brace that pumps up and stretches the neck, various exercises that involve pulling my shoulders down and back and laying flat on the ground with my chin flat too, and taking Omega 3-6-9/Borage oil supplements for inflammation.

The neck seems to require constant work, i'm on the inversion table one to two times a day for about 15 to 30 minutes if i can swing it (best amount of time i've found), and the supplements seem to work anywhere from 60% to 80% of the time.

I'm just looking to see if there's possibly anything else I can do to help this pain go away and get these discs to finally heal in place or stay in place so i don't need to keep doing this constant upkeep.

Can anybody give any advice if there's anything else that can be done?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

treatment with lumbosciatica by intra-discal injection of proteolytic enzymes (nucleolysis)

it's a enxyme from the papya plant that desolves the fluid leaking from the herniated discs.

Proteolytic enzymes originated from carica papaya, injected extra durally in the lumbar intervertebral disc . of 80 patients suffering from intractable root pain due to herniated discs, led to 85% of satisfactory results as far as root pain is concerned. Strong motivation and appropriate deals with residual lumbar pain which was absent or kept under control in 85% of all cases. Surgery can be successfully carried out after nucleolysis, when an adherent root and/or an extruded fragment is responsible of the failure.

i felt immediate relief after the injection. it's a process done in the OR under light anestheia. have nor had any complication since.

• Posted

Hmmm. I've heard of taking proteolytic enzyme supplements, but it didn't sound like a surefire thing. Or that they had to be take a certain way before they get dissolved in the stomach and can make it to the discs or something. The injection sounds like it would do a lot better job.

Did you have the surgery to get the leftover disc fragments removed? I figure any extra surgery that isn't necessarily needed is a risk. And if the enzyme injection works by itself, that should probably be all that's done.

• Posted

i had no disc fragments the discs were herniated . a break in the outer wall of the disc allowing the center jelly like disc material to leak out on the nerve. the enzyme dissolves the jelly tissue only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.