Living with extremely large hernia

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi,I had a c section 4 yrs ago which has left me with an extremely large ventral hernia,I also suffer with asthma and severe anxiety. I've left it for this amount of time as it's up to now only given me back ache and was worried about my daughters care while I was getting better,now I've been told that the ct said it contains all my intestines which makes it high risk of complications ,problem is now it's really starting to cause me pain I don't want to leave my daughter with out a mum but don't want this for the rest of my life,I'm 46 yrs old and my hernia is the size of 2 large melons ,please any advice would be appreciated x

3 likes, 95 replies

95 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply loretta,your hernia sounds very uncomfortable,mine has been problem free until now it just looks really ugly,which what triggered the anxiety ,I wish you well loretta x
  • Posted

Thank you Lesley,it's totally taken over my life ,destroyed my life in fact! I do hope you find some doctor to listen ,it's really not good enough ! None of them care it's so very wrong x
    • Posted

I'm amazed they are letting you live like that!, not only pain but the discomfort you must feel in clothes or going out!!. I can't get any of my clothes on and I look pregnant!!, even A bra kills!! I hope you have some luck, keep us posted xx
  • Posted

I hate it Lesley,I live in size 22 leggings when I'm a 10-12 normally and baggy tops ,people are always looking at me like I'm a freak! When I went to my last consultant appointment it wasn't giving me any pain or anything so the concern really was respiratory arrest after surgery as I'm a smoker ,asthmatic and have the anxiety which causes breathing probs,it's been that size for 31/2 yrs n nobody really wants to know except the last consultant who made me feel like I was a giinea pig! Just with the words *wow that's amazing !I can't wait to get my hands on it * it's really so depressing as I'm sure you'll know!is it only eating you have problems with or does it feel weighed down perminently too?
    • Posted

I do feel for you, i'm not really sure what these Hernias are, they never explain properly. Whats actually happened inside that has swollen so big, is that fluid?. Why do they think you might Arrest?. Yes i'm constantly rubbing my stomach or having to dig my fingers under my ribs. Feels like a tennis ball is under my rib, the pain travels through to my back and into my ribs and shoulder blades, when the hernia slides i get megga heartburn and burning under my skin and a horrible stabbing pain!. I'm constantly bloated badly, people as me if i'm pregnant!! I don't go out anymore cause nothing fits and i struggle to hold my gut in!!. Like you, i'm normally a 12 and my legs are skinny, i hate it, i'm embarrased so live in baggy slobby cloths and look a complete scruff bag!!. Iv'e had so many tests and scan's and this is all they found, and they keep saying the hernia wouldn't cause me pain!!!, so i'm still 2 1/2 years on, none the wiser!!!, I'm convinced there is something else wrong!! :-( 

• Posted

Sharon I have a hernia similar to yours and it was almost a relief to see that I'm not the only one.  Doctors won't operate because of health issues.  Lately it's become tight and sore and feel as if it will burst.  I would love to have it repaired.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth my husband has the same problem as you how you getting on. It’s been so scary for my husband and we are still waiting. He has to lose weight but it is like a rugby ball nightmare.
  • Posted

Oh Lesley it sounds so painful sad I was told that where I'd had the c section the muscle wall had split so my bowels found another home within my muscle wall so to speak,when I lay down and it goes in it feels horrible! They think ill arrest because they'll have to push my diaphragm right up to make room for my intestines as my body apparently has adjusted to the bowel not being there,have they not told you what your hernia contains?as it's very common for organs to enter a hernial space 
  • Posted

I would've thought the pains coming from the fact that your ribs are obviously under a lot of pressure,trouble is the bigger it gets the more pressure your ribs are going to feel,I would've thought rolleyescan't quite work out how they think it wouldn't hurt it's up against bone there sad x
    • Posted

Bloody hell that sound terrible. This is all very scary, all they have told me is that my stomach slides up through my diaphragm, I've googled it and I can't understand why they call it a hernia!!!. To me it's a weak diaphragm! But there must be something there cause I can feel it!!. I have read so many blogs where the hernia fills a space, think I need to look into it a bit more!. What do you think you will do? 👀 x  
    • Posted

I wrote to embarrassing bodies, they have the top doctors and they take you serious, it's a long shot but worth a try, you get top treatment!! My friend suggested it, wish I could help you 😔x
  • Posted

I was thinking about embarressing bodies too lool top surgeons used on there! A sliding hernia is a hole in the diaphragm which let's god knows what's in the hernia go in n out ,look it up on bupa I think they explain things so much easier ,trouble is what u need to know is what's sliding in n out because it's obviously causing unnecessary problems,a hernia can hold any organ in the area where it is,some are more dangerous than others,mines not dangerous as it stands as it's got all my intestines nice n neat in my new body handbag lol but if say my womb went in there that would be a different matter x
  • Posted

I've pmed u some info ,hope u don't mind it might explain what you've got better x
  • Posted

The doctors don't care benny,I went to the doctors today about my hernia and she just told me it was harmless enough x
    • Posted

Terrible, it's not harmless at all rolleyes in deed it's a ticking timebomb in my humble opinion neutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.