Living with Forestier's disease

Posted , 86 users are following.

I have finally found info on Forestier's disease!!

When I was first diagnosed back in 1988 my doctor had no material on this subject. I was told to go home and find it on my computer, which I did. There was a researcher in Canada who hit the nail right on the head, Forestier's is no pick nick! He was so right!

When I was first diagnosed with the disease, I was in a lot of back pain. I had x-rays done and this article is correct....my vertebral area looked as if I were leaking wax. I saw all sorts of bony hooks hanging from each and every vertebrate and I was in a lot of pain; but my doctor at that time said I couldn't be in pain, as it wasn't painful??? On the contrary, the article I was told to research stated that there is a great deal of pain associated with the disease and eventually it would be crippling and that is where I am, 20 years later.

At the first time I was diagnosed, I didn't know that my choking could be associated with the disease itself, I thought it was just asthma...after all \"it isn't that bad.\" I was placed on many anti-inflammatory medications. I was place on one that I suddenly would loose my speech and get confused...I was told they might be TIA's. Later this particular drug was found to do just that. Since it wasn't helping, I was put on another anti-inflammatory and the doctor doubled the recommended dose and later I found that the sphincter muscle to my stomach and been burned away from too much of a good thing.

I was told not to see a chiropractor and for good reason! I had a complication from a surgery and they had to knock me out in order to go down my throat....while under someone turned my head further than I could myself and broke a facet in my neck; now I have plates in my neck and need more surgery....Once my neck was repaired, I didn't choke any longer. Right now, the disease has gotten so bad that I have many areas of stenosis and nerve root cut off. The neurosurgeon who performed my first neck surgery stated that every opening that allows the nerve roots to channel through my body was loaded with razor sharp spurs. This is just the spinal region of my body.

I am beginning to calcify at every ligament insertion site. I have bony over growth in my feet, which interfere with the articulation of my foot joints. I can feel the bones sticking out of my ankles and the tops of my feet; I'm beginning to fuse in my left foot. In three weeks I'm heading for a double knee replacement because my left knee can't support my knee cap; over growth of bone has pushed it away. It is getting more and more difficult to participate in daily activities as my range of motion is becoming limited. My elbows and my shoulders are affected as well...I can feel bony growth there as well. I'm losing feeling in my legs, as my nerves are being pinched; the pain shoots down to my feet and it is gripping. My hands can't grip a phone for any length of time.

I found if my pain can be controlled, I can function well, but too many doctors are not up on the pain this disease produces. Controlling the pain keeps me moving, and that is what you need to do, but the support isn't there for this. The disease is so rare that it is brushed off as regular osteoarthritis and it isn't, it's no where near the same.

I was diagnosed in my thirties and I have lived with chronic pain for over twenty years now. I was told that it affects mostly males over the age of 70....bunk! It is genetic, as my mother had it and wasn't properly diagnosed with the disease and my brother has it as well. My mother and I were deeply affected, she had it her feet as well and by the time she reached 70, she couldn't walk without crying in despair.

I had one doctor treat me with Suboxone and it was the only drug that gave me back the quality of life others enjoyed. He left for the north and I am back in severe pain once again. The problem with this disease, it's a square peg and everyone wants to fit into a round hole. I try to keep a smile on my face for my families sake, but the pain can be read all over my face. I'm still young, by today's standards and I just want to be a participant in this life, not stuck in some corner watching my life and the world go passed me.

12 likes, 213 replies

213 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI there, there is a fantastic Face Book page on D.I.S.H lots of people with it, and heaps of information etc. One page is for research and the other just people with DISH comparing and talking about it.. I would recommend you find that..

Good luck with your D.I.S.H its a horrid thing to have.

• Posted

Hi Wally0 , would you put a link here for the D.I.S.H. facebook page. I tried looking it up on facebook and all I get is the dish network and food pages.
    • Posted

By the looks on my phone is says.

FORESTIERS/DISH -Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis

you can only get the the research sight by being added to that group, as its a closed sight..

I hope that helps, if not I might have to add you.

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with DISH disease too.  I feel for you!!   I wish there was a good holistic doctor to see.  Be well, Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave

Just wondering how old you are?

I'm scheduled for radiofrequency ablation on the 28th of May

Has anybody heard this helps and how long does it last

Thanks

Paul..,

• Posted

Hy paul I am sixty four. I never heard of your radiofrequency abiation. My doctors do nothing for me . They just say take a tranquilizer and an arthritis pill. They want to turn me into a drug addict.  I wish I could help you, Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, 

Hope your doing better.

Now due to the pain, my blood pressure is sky rocketing, and I'm already on blood pressure meds, has that happened to you?  Trying to due my recumbent exercise bike in basement for 30 minutes everyday, what next?

Paul

• Posted

I have had several radiofrequency ablations, every one of them successful. The latest one lasted 6 months but I have had up to 2 years relief. Drs say 1 year is about average. Good luck..
  • Posted

by the way, do you know any good helpful sites for us?  How old are you? Be well, Dave
    • Posted

I'm going on 58, web md. Is the site I use, feel I can trust it, my doctors recommend it.
    • Posted

I find , Paul, with this disease it is hard to relax. Whenever I move my legs, they ache, and my neck is a nightmare.  Do you reccommend anything? Thanks for the site, I will check it out. Dave
    • Posted

On the 28th of May I'm having a procedure called radiofrequency ablation, which is how I describe it burning of some nerves which send signals to brain, see how it goes, can last 6-12  months or longer, it will be the c5 c6 and possibly more.  I ride my recumbent exercise bike everyday, then on the heating pad for 30 minutes.  I do agree with you hard to relax, which I had before but is worse.
    • Posted

I sympathize with you Paul.  I wish you luck with your operation , my friend.  Be well.   Dave
    • Posted

Dave keep writing, I have the same issues, the neck and throat, they told me there not connected, I have gerd and my throat cleared up, it took about 2 months.

Had my procedure today, in a lot of pain but I think it's starting to work, we'll know in 6 weeks.  On line it says it lasts about 6 12 months, my doctor says his numbers are more like 18 24, sounds good to me.

Don't know if you care to know,I live in Wisconsin in the

USA

Wish we lived closer.

See how the pain is in morning my friend

GOOD NIGHT

• Posted

I live in Florida.  If we get any ideas ,we should help each other.    I wish you lots of luck,  Dave
    • Posted

Hey Paul,

Saw your post on where you mention radio radiofrequency for your neck. I hope all went well for you on the procedure Did it help?

I too suffer from neck pain and have thought about it the radio radiofrequency. But scared to do it.

Stan

• Posted

Hi Stanm, 

The procedure was quite easy, the results were not what  I expected.

The numbness in my hand and shoulder went away but I feel the central upper back and neck  is worse.  I'm thinking by burning the nerves off the pain backed up to my back and shoulder, my doctor kind of agreed.

Saw my pain doctor this past week, tramadol as needed, not every 6 hours or it will have no effect for lasting a long period of time.

Do what I can, total pain will never go away.

WOW

• Posted

Hi I just found this website and see that you're in Wisconsin to so I thought we might be able to have some advice for each other from time to time I have been diagnosed with mild dish and have no real suggestions on what to do have a very stiff neck with limited range of motion as my biggest issues right now and I'm wondering what I'm able able to do to help this from Progressive

• Posted

Hi Robert

I'm from Point, I am slowly getting worse, but still kicking. The best advice I've learned is to keep active. Mine started in neck 2 1/2 years ago and had moved. First started by lifting my chin up and felt a lot of pain, and the process began.

• Posted

Hi Robert I'm in the UK but have done simple Web page you and Paul might like type in browser D.I.S.H Steves perspective there is simple info as most you see is not relevant regards Steve

• Posted

Hi thank you for writing I went to your webpage I am wondering what you have tried for your pain if anything his work I am new to this diagnosis so I've had in awhile it turns out I am wondering how quickly this progresses and if it always does progressed thank you for any help

• Posted

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago and I am taking sulfasalazine and diclofinac daily and a oxycontin when ever I can get my dr to give me them. I have been lucky to not have the swallowing problems all my pain is in the middle lower back hands and feet.
    • Posted

Hi Robert I've tried most drugs therapies etc swimming helped in early stages but can't go anymore as it's embarrassing when you can't dry or dress yoursrlf,I find keeping perfectly still helps but of course you can't do that for long,you need to move but it hurts,a vicious circle,only drug that helps me is morphine doesn't take pain away helps manage it,some wouldn't be happy taking it, I wasn't but you get desperate in the end you'll do anything for relief,some seem to progress slowly I've got bad over last three years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.