Living with Forestier's disease

Posted , 86 users are following.

I have finally found info on Forestier's disease!!

When I was first diagnosed back in 1988 my doctor had no material on this subject. I was told to go home and find it on my computer, which I did. There was a researcher in Canada who hit the nail right on the head, Forestier's is no pick nick! He was so right!

When I was first diagnosed with the disease, I was in a lot of back pain. I had x-rays done and this article is correct....my vertebral area looked as if I were leaking wax. I saw all sorts of bony hooks hanging from each and every vertebrate and I was in a lot of pain; but my doctor at that time said I couldn't be in pain, as it wasn't painful??? On the contrary, the article I was told to research stated that there is a great deal of pain associated with the disease and eventually it would be crippling and that is where I am, 20 years later.

At the first time I was diagnosed, I didn't know that my choking could be associated with the disease itself, I thought it was just asthma...after all \"it isn't that bad.\" I was placed on many anti-inflammatory medications. I was place on one that I suddenly would loose my speech and get confused...I was told they might be TIA's. Later this particular drug was found to do just that. Since it wasn't helping, I was put on another anti-inflammatory and the doctor doubled the recommended dose and later I found that the sphincter muscle to my stomach and been burned away from too much of a good thing.

I was told not to see a chiropractor and for good reason! I had a complication from a surgery and they had to knock me out in order to go down my throat....while under someone turned my head further than I could myself and broke a facet in my neck; now I have plates in my neck and need more surgery....Once my neck was repaired, I didn't choke any longer. Right now, the disease has gotten so bad that I have many areas of stenosis and nerve root cut off. The neurosurgeon who performed my first neck surgery stated that every opening that allows the nerve roots to channel through my body was loaded with razor sharp spurs. This is just the spinal region of my body.

I am beginning to calcify at every ligament insertion site. I have bony over growth in my feet, which interfere with the articulation of my foot joints. I can feel the bones sticking out of my ankles and the tops of my feet; I'm beginning to fuse in my left foot. In three weeks I'm heading for a double knee replacement because my left knee can't support my knee cap; over growth of bone has pushed it away. It is getting more and more difficult to participate in daily activities as my range of motion is becoming limited. My elbows and my shoulders are affected as well...I can feel bony growth there as well. I'm losing feeling in my legs, as my nerves are being pinched; the pain shoots down to my feet and it is gripping. My hands can't grip a phone for any length of time.

I found if my pain can be controlled, I can function well, but too many doctors are not up on the pain this disease produces. Controlling the pain keeps me moving, and that is what you need to do, but the support isn't there for this. The disease is so rare that it is brushed off as regular osteoarthritis and it isn't, it's no where near the same.

I was diagnosed in my thirties and I have lived with chronic pain for over twenty years now. I was told that it affects mostly males over the age of 70....bunk! It is genetic, as my mother had it and wasn't properly diagnosed with the disease and my brother has it as well. My mother and I were deeply affected, she had it her feet as well and by the time she reached 70, she couldn't walk without crying in despair.

I had one doctor treat me with Suboxone and it was the only drug that gave me back the quality of life others enjoyed. He left for the north and I am back in severe pain once again. The problem with this disease, it's a square peg and everyone wants to fit into a round hole. I try to keep a smile on my face for my families sake, but the pain can be read all over my face. I'm still young, by today's standards and I just want to be a participant in this life, not stuck in some corner watching my life and the world go passed me.

12 likes, 213 replies

213 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried, or know if HGH treatment has worked in the treament of DISH?

With apologies, will probably only visit this site once per week, or bi-weekly.

Thank so much,

• Posted

to my knowlegde nothing can stop the progression but steroids are a treatment that can slow the progression by supressing the immune response and inflammation.  the bad side to this is after 5-7 years or so one risks the steroids start to damage the internal organs.  my suggestion is if you are in the very early stage, you could try it for a few years . but if youve been more advanced stage i myself would never think of taking steroids.    i dont know how hgh would affect it . and im not sure what steroids are used to treat it since that was never an option.   there are mixed review on the cause and even risk factors.  i have no relatives that i know of or have ever had this disease.  im over weight but not diabetic or prediabetic and it doesnt run in my family at all.  i believe its a combination of genetics, enviromental exposure to viral infections, and diet.  its a  REALLY REALLY WEIRD DISEASE
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed with DISH. Thank god I have a good rheumatologist and it only took a few months. I was wondering what kind of meds are you using to treat your dish? I was started on prednisone and that was awesome until I found out what I does to you and he took it away. Then I went on Vicodin for 2 months and that was taken away. now I am on sulfasalazine and diclofenac. They are not as good as the others but don’t have the negative side affects. I had read that skeletal muscle relaxers work but my doc wont give them to me. My doc wants me to lose weight but that is difficult when you are depressed and in pain. Has anyone gone to pain management and what is that like?
    • Posted

Had pain since January. Physician finally sent me to a Rheumatoligist.

Diagnosed with DISH last month.Pain is mostly when inactive or sleeping. No spinal pain, though I have twice previously had Sciatica.Both times cleared up by Chiropractors. My pain is in both shoulder joints, blades and upper arm muscles. Cramps also in calf and hamstring muscles daily. My physician has put me on one 15mg Mobic anti inflammatory per night for joint pain and one half a 5mg Valium to relax the tightness in the muscles while I sleep. I take one 20mg Nexium daily so the Mobic won`t burn my stomach out. My Chiropractor has suppied me with a Magnesium based DietarySupplement called Ultra Muscleze to help ease the cramps. Rheumatoligist.got me a visit to clinic yesterday and got Cortisone shot in left shoulder.All helps a bit. Keep trying to lose weight. I  think I could lose weight but drink about six mid strength beers a day.That don`t help. Still working, just gotta live with it.   

• Posted

Its funny how dish is different for everyone some have mild pain and can go on with life others have more severe pain and have to make major life changes. When I first noticed the fatigue and pain the first thing I did was stop drinking my thought was how can I complain about being sick and tired all the time when I drink and what dr would take me seriously when I am hurting myself. I also need to lose weight and quitting drinking helps to do that bigtime. I am lucky enough to live in WA so I just switched to smoking pot it helps with the pain with the bonus of no hangover. 
  • Posted

a six pack a day IS NOT GOOD.   forestiers is considered a auto-immune/matabolism disease.    one of the corralations of risk is being over weight.  for those who have been diagnosed with dish (((i highly recommend getting genetic testing))))     ankylosing spondylosis (((IS VERY))) similure to dish but they are two very distinctive diseases.   spondylosis has genetic markers to look for ,  forestiers does not.  spondylosis does eventually affect the organs,  forestiers does not.  with someone who drinks a 6 pack of beer a day. i would make absolutely sure that what you have is dish and not spondylosis where drinking can make it worse, even if it doesnt make it worse it is REALLY NOT GOOD FOR YOU.    i met someone 2 years ago , he was 32 years old and dying of cirrhosis of the liver due to chronic alcohalism.   IT IS UTTERLY POINTLESS TO DIE THAT WAY.
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I do not have Spondylosis. This discussion is over Foriester`s Disease. My drinking of six mid strength beers per day does not indicate I will develop Cirrosis of the liver but inhibits my attempt to lose eight kilograms which would put me on a standard "healthy" weight for a sixty three year old male. Please contribute to the discussion on hand.

• Posted

Hi, it says you posted a year ago so I sincerely hope that you have made better progress with treatment. I have been told that I too have, this horrible issue. I'm 59, suffered from the muscle spasms off and on for many years but only recently was told why. Doctors are plain rubbish! I've had more xray and mri scans than I recall over the past 10 years to get answers to the discomfort but April this year is when I got the diagnosis. That's it! No treatment other than the fact pain killers and ibuprofen are to be taken. I'd be delighted to hear of any better treatment because I'm now at the stage where every day is tough going. The discomfort is grim, going to work is a challenge but moving helps over sitting still, let alone trying to sleep. I'm going to see the doctor again and press for some positive action rather than being fobbed off after the statutory 10 minutes allowed on NHS care. I'll let you know if I get any progress. Not holding my breath though!

• Posted

the only treatment is pain meds,  excersize and steroids which slow the immune system down which i wouldnt recommend over a 5 year period. steroids destroy organs.  i got it when i was 32, its been 17 yrs and it is getting very hard for me. i sympathise with your situation. i cant say that your situation will ever get better since it is progressive but the only advantage is its not spondylosis which attacks the organs as well , our disease doesnt directly attack any organs. if you can call that an up side of things.  there are some surgical treatments to remove bone spurs depending on where they are but i wouldnt recommend that unless its dyer.  unfortunetly the only real advise i can give you is if you intend to have surgery at any time your probably better off doing it at john hopkins in maryland,  its suppose to be the best hospital in the country.
    • Posted

Thanks for the update albeit just to confirm little can be done. Steroids, I'm only too aware, do cause other complications. Since the muscle spasms really took hold some 12 years ago every few months, it was thought that this caused my bodies immune system to go a bit hyper. This, it is assumed, caused Iritis or Uveitis to flare up in one or both eyes. The treatment is steroid drops over several weeks. This treatment, whilst sorting the eye inflammation, also accelerated cataract development in the affected eye. So, it's a vicious circle all round. Fortunately, cataracts can be sorted. In England, one has to wait a long time on our NHS system until it's determined that quality of life is severely affected. Or, you can go private and pay. Get your eyesight back without undue delay! Basically, it sucks all around, but I suppose that I should and do, remain grateful that I've at least got to 59 before I'm in pain daily, and not a much younger person that still has many years of living to enjoy. Let's hope that a cure, or treatment becomes available very soon for those of us who's quality of life has been diminished. Chin up everyone, let's all remain positive.

• Posted

Has anyone tried the Radiofrequency Ablation procedure to reduce pain? If so please share your results with me. I would appreciate it very much!
    • Posted

ive never had treatment for any pain and ive been living with it for 17 years. but i am under the impression from what i know of radiowaves that it should help with some discomfort unless the pain that one is feeling is from nerve pain from within the spinal cannal. radio waves helps blood flow by creating heat , it should help to losen the muscles , reduce inflamation.   but again . ive never had anything like that done so im only thinking it could work not that it will work . but i think that kind of therapy is expensive as well.  i hope this helps a little
    • Posted

As a general point of advice/experience I've been taking co- codamol 30/500 for the last 12 months along with ibuprofen and naproxen. Yes, quite an arsenal of drugs to control the pain of Forestiers! Downside is, blood pressure for one, goes sky high, plus weight gain! So, in an attempt to combat both issues I went cold turkey. I'm 6ft 1" and 239lbs, no small guy, I thought no problem! My God, it's horrendous! Never thought of withdrawal symptoms let alone how bad! Results were mega pain in joints, severe muscle spasms, nauseated, diarrhoea, flu like symptoms and my kneck virtually stopped moving! 4 days later, I just buckled and had to use ibuprofen again. Point is, I'm warning everyone that whilst co-codamol is great pain control, it's also severely addictive and withdrawal is not a walk in the park. Ibuprofen however, well as soon as I resumed that In effervescent powder form, it was like throwing the pain switch off! I'm now going to regulate this and see how it goes. Bottom line, with advanced Forestiers, no way can you not have some meds to help with the pain. It's a vicious circle of meds to alleviate pain yet cause other internal damage, or endure crippling pain. I've found that the ibuprofen works best for me but you have to not over do it. Pity we can't pass the discomfort onto the medical profession because doing so would have them find a resolve asap.

• Posted

I've used this myself for years and recomended it to clients , it works very well for any pain and stress. Buy a plain walkman with head phones, listen as loud as you can, only listen to music, music that you enjoy, but loud. Your mind hears the music, relaxes muscles,nearves etc., and in a way makes your mind stop transmitting pain. It sounds crazy, but it works 100%. Doctor's get paid good money for this treatment, in reality this does the same thing, I've proved it over and over. A walkman cost about 20 bucks, try it, it works, your pain will go away. 

• Posted

Hey, I'd try anything to ease the pain. I'm a music lover anyway so no problem there! Thanks for your advice and valuable input. I've also found that a freezing cold gell pack wrapped in a cloth, pressed on a spasmed muscle for a few minutes also greatly reduces the spasm! A couple of minutes on, then 7 off, really takes the spasm away after 3 or 4 applications. Great on stiff necks too! Works great for me! Final snippet of information, yesterday, I was at the hospital. Speaking to the senior physio, she told me not to consume large doses of pain meds before sleeping. Instead, take paracetamol at regular intervals throughout the day. 500mg every 5 hours with ibuprofen. You can get both in effervescent powder form which both mixes easy in water so easy to take and, it gets into your system much quicker. Far better than opiates which will cause problems with addiction. Paracetamol is safe if taken in controld doses. As always, take after or with food. Give it a try, I'm finding it works well for me. Good look one and all who suffer from this horrible condition. :-)

• Posted

Hi

I have tried Radio frequency ablation over 12 times (bi lateral) from T8 to T12. In addition over 30+ steriod injections again bi lateral. On both accounts the benefits are sadly often not long term (1-2 months) as the nerves eventually start to grow back.

I have 2 spinal cord stimulators inserted (1 @ T7 which controls stimulation from approx. T9 down) & (2 @ T2 to stimulate down to T4 to T10 - double dose for chronic area at levels of T8&T9).

Sadly the after 3 years of increasing pain, the only relief I find is to move daily and walk. Up until recently this was near impossible, however I accepted that sadly there is little anyone can do, and for my own mental health I needed to adapt my lifestyle and train by brain to block the pain.

I take like all a multitude of medication as well as natural supplements (Tumeric, magnesium, fish and krill oil as well as multi B complex for men.

I know walk around 6-8 klms daily, hydro therapy, and gentle gym work planned by my treaters.

This may or may not of helped your question, but the biggest change in my life was acceptance. I am 47yo with a loving supportive wife and 2 fantastic daughters. We only get one life and as horrific as it is to live with (personally) I am living it on my terms and embracing the good days and accepting the bad.

All the best everyone, remember today's pain is tomorrow's strength.

• Posted

Kevin, as a pharmacist, let me say, never go cold turkey. Gradually wean yourself off, and use a precessional to help. I have had several surgeries and never experience withdrawal. I never go too high in dosing, always have addiction avoidance on my mind. I use alternatives like cold packs, physical therapy. and ibuprofen.  
    • Posted

Distraction is a great coping skill for pain.  It works best when the pain is not severe.  I've had Fibromyalgia for 21 years which was triggered by a fall at work.  I wonder if an accident or injury (twisting or jarring) can cause the cascade of Forestier's disease.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.