living with oxygen

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi I've been told I need long term oxygen cos my levels are low due to my curvature of spine restricting my lungs is there anyone else out there living with oxygen full time and how do you cope please

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry I can't help you with this Jackie as my knowledge is limited to watching my sister and a couple of friends who were on oxygen 24/7.  I think that like everything else in life you will get used to it love. There are some good comments on here from people who are using it 24/7 and especially about small portable tanks that can be carried.  I do hope you feel better soon. Regards Patsy43
  • Posted

Hi Jackie , I've been using oxygen 24/7 for 4 yrs, I use a concentrator at home and at our caravan and liquid oxygen or small cylinders for outside. The liquid oxy container is much easier to carry but you need to have a garage or shed etc to store the unit unfortunately I'm not allowed to store it at the caravan so I use cylinders. I use 2L , I can't increase my levels as I retain CO2 . the long tube on the concentrator can get on your nerves dragging it about but that's a trivial complaint on the whole I don't have any problems. Good luck x Julia 
  • Posted

I suspect my problems different in that the source was cardiac arrest- low oxygen pumping , but breathing is effecting all movement  .Looked into hyperbaric oxygen ie: divers chambers but GP said not suitable .

There is also lip- lymphoedema involved so unless get antibiotics when have a chest infection I think I could die .Over the years have found acupuncture and a flu jab & thyroxine have kept infections away as get utis too needing antibiotics too.

• Posted

I had to take to night sleeping in my old laz-boy chair, and have developed issues with my posture as well.  This exacerbates several other concerns, and I would get into that at length at a later time.

Should you be interested in short correspondences, I would gladly welcome sharing my experience/s with you.

I am in Palm Springs, CA, U.S.A.

chrisD

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Have previously mentioned the portable oxygen concentrators. But must tell you that last October I went by air from Brisbane to Amsterdam and then went on one of the long ships down the Rhine for 18 days. All I had was the portable oxygen concentrator. I have less than 20% lungs left.

Off the ship at Budapest I then flew to London Heathrow via Germany.

I had a carer with me. The flight back to Australia was all ok. I am saying all this so that everyone knows it is possible to travel with portable oxygen. All Us airlines and most other major airlines accept the oxygen concentrator I have.

Don't think I can mention the brand on here but if any one wants to know about it my email is [email removed]

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I've been using oxygen for almost two years and I'm still not used to it. I am depressed about it and can't seem to accept it. I just feel terrible a lot of the time. Some days are worse than others, and today is a really bad day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.