living with rectal prolapse

Posted , 16 users are following.

My mother has suffered with a complete rectal prolapse for the past 15 or so years. The actual prolapse occurred about 30 years ago when she lifted a heavy package. She really never sought medical care until it became complete.

She is 86 years old now, and aside from this and a broken arm that didn't heal correctly, her health is pretty good. She would like to hear from others who suffer with this, and how they manage to live comfortably (more or less) with it. It tends to be very painful for her at times. Does anyone have the same problems, and if so, how do you deal with it?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

sad I am really sorry to hear about your mother, i am only 39 and have lived with several other complications as well as this... i have had surgery in November of last year and my personal experience has been unkind... i am no better.... there is a proceedure called a posterior STARR that may be of help if she is up to surgery... other than that i can only advise that she tries to keep her stools soft by managing with Movacol and good pain killers kindest regards
  • Posted

hello cheshire, i have just read your experience about rectal prolapes, i am going through this at the moment and was told that there is an operation that you can have and does cure, and that is to have a part of the bowel taken away i was hopeful that this might apply to me but after reading your experience, im wondering if this is really true, i'd hate to think that i will have to \"live with it\" i would find that very hard as it is a most uncomfortable feeling. thank youfor your post.
  • Posted

i have add an operation for a vaginal prolapse,, but im waiting for another on my back passage, i think i got the prolapse with all the heavy lifting i do, in the house moveing the furniture about and carrying heavy shopping, im dreading this operation,they say no lifting,its easily said but im a single mother and i do lift things, who else is ther to do it for me, i strugle to poo, i get constapated and have to put my finger in my vagine to push the poo out, i can feel it in my vagaina wall, its so hard to poo, it puts me off eating
  • Posted

i have add an operation for a vaginal prolapse,, but im waiting for another on my back passage, i think i got the prolapse with all the heavy lifting i do, in the house moveing the furniture about and carrying heavy shopping, im dreading this operation,they say no lifting,its easily said but im a single mother and i do lift things, who else is ther to do it for me, i strugle to poo, i get constapated and have to put my finger in my vagine to push the poo out, i can feel it in my vagaina wall, its so hard to poo, it puts me off eating
  • Posted

• Posted

Sorry about your mom. I know exactly what she is and has been going through and for so long. I  am 79 years old and suffer from the same affliction for the last year and a half. I am dead set (sorry about my choice of words) against surgery after reading and hearing about the results. Your mom's story actually gives me some encouragement because I was wondering how long can one live with this affliction. It is painful at times, at this moment I am in pain, it is most uncomforable and does limit my movements. I have to wear a pad 24/7 because of the incontinence it has also caused. The pad actually is dual purpose, it helps keep things in place, gives some support and some protection. I have to sit on a pillow at all times and my grand kids are aware of this and rush to put a pillow under my butt. I eat plenty of fruit and vegies, plenty of fluids and wear long tunics over leggings or slacks because I am kind of self conscious about the bulge showing. Tell your mom she is not alone in her misery. It is always something, if it was not this it would be something else, after a while you kind of get used to living with this deformity. I keep going on line to see if I can find some kind of miracle cure. No luck.

I am not sure how old your post is. This is 2/7/2015 from Vancouver Washington USA

• Posted

Hi. Ive had a long journey with rectal prolapses and Im only 14. I was diagnosed when I was 6, just two years after my parents divorced. I lied to my parents and said I only had the problem for a few weeks when I had really had it for about a year so I got it when I was 5. Ive had 4 colonoscopys, 2 endoscopys, 2 minimal procedures, and two rectal prolapse surgeries. When I searched support groups for my issues, I was looking for people my age but everyone who seems to have a rectal prolapse is elderly. I just feel really alone. To answer your question, the surgeries definetely changed things for me. My first one was when I was 10 and that didnt work cause I have EDS (a connective tissue disorder). Then they did it again and used a special mesh to hold it up when I was 12. It has been a very difficult journey for me and even thhough I havent had a reoccurence since, I still live with chronic pain. Its definetly hard for me even now with not being able to tell anyone cause its a very embarrassing thing. Anyway, I still live with chronic stomach pain, IBS, intense chronic pressure, etc. but it is gone for now so hopefully no re-reoccurences.
    • Posted

Hi I am so sorry you have had to endure this at such a young age, I am dealing with this with my 5 year old son for the past 2.5 months and all docs have said to be patient and most kids will grow out of this, he is on maralax but even with Maralax I have seen it happen where some times at the end of his defecation it comes out and when he stops pushing it goes back in. he is otherwise healthy but had had off an on constipation or straining but had always been able to go daily.. he is gone on without having any issue for 2 weeks and then again it comes back if he strain or if I give too much maralax where it is too watery.  I am so worried and fearful of his future and have hard time believing the 90% kids will grow out of this when reading such posts.  we have never had to push it in as they retract.  I am wondering how things are going for you, are your pain related to surgery any better? also when you had prolapse at 6 were there small and retractable on their own? I can not image what you have gone through I hope things are better for you and u are experiencing a happier time.  please write to me if you can.
    • Posted

hello,

i dont know if youll see this respsone, as your post was from a few years ago but like you i am very young i am 24 and have EDS. i am suffering from rectal prolapse which has been left untreated by my doctors and i am now finally being referred to the Colorectal department . i really relate to what you said about feeling alone. i feel in the dark , with little knowledge as to the extent of the prolapse and how bad it is apart from looking at it myself. Apart from the surgery which you e said helped which im so glad for you of, is there anything else you found beneficial or helpful? i feel desperate at this point - if you see this and can take the time to respond please do, id appreciate it more than anything at the moment! thank you, lauren x

• Posted

I had rectal prolapse surgery 8 years ago at the age of 55 my hemroids were so bad I couldn't stand up I had to sit down so they told me it would take care of everything.  When they did the surgery they took some of my stomach to my rectum.  After 4 months after surgery they said I could continue doing Jazzercise with no problem.  It was April when I started doing it and when August came around I started feeling pain and mucus coming out of my rectum.  I went to see my surgeon and he said not to worry and to do bio feed.  I did that and they gave me certain excercises to do.  Now I wish I never had this surgery because now I can't control my bowel movements I have no spinture and the muscle is getting worse and will not go back in.  I met with 3 doctors and each one said not to have surgery but to get the colon bags.  Now I changed insurance plans and now have Kaiser and the doctor said she can fix it, but I don't know what to do at this point.  I have to wear Poise pads 24/7 and you can see them but I don't care at this point.  I am only 63.  Do you know what I should do?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with rectal, bladder and uterus prolapse.  I do not have symptoms other than urgency to go the bathroom at times.  I did research and found that pelvic floor prolapse is related to poor posture.  I found this nurse named Christine Kent that suffered from prolapse for 10 yrs.  She decided to do something about it and found that poor posture is the cause of prolapse.  Made sense to me, and since I started the Whole Woman Posture, I have noticed great improvement with my prolapse.  I don't have to urinate as often, and only have urgency occasionally to bm.  I was so excited to actually find something to help me feel better...  hope this info can help someone else.. 

• Edited

Looking for support and information. I’m 52 and first realized I had a recital prolapse about 4 years ago when I had to manually replace it following a bout of diarrhea.I’ve had 2 vaginal deliveries and a history of constipation. i also had endometriosis and adenomyosis resulting in a hysterectomy about 10 years ago.

I have experienced bowel incontinence twice over the past year and only had the full prolapse requiring "manual reset" a few times. However, I have had worsening lower back pain and right lower abdominal/ pelvic pain that I thought was a kidney stone. I’m now thinking the pain is a sign the prolapse is worsening. I don’t really like the idea of surgery but fear that’s what its coming to.

Anyone have recommendations for a skilled surgeon? I don’t care where as long as they have experience and good success.

For anyone dealing with this, either personally or as a support person, I wish you the best and will share anything I learn through this experience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.