Living with Sciatica

Posted , 13 users are following.

When was in my late 20's I started to suffer from Sciatica in my lower back, pain was excrutiation, as time years went on it eased and I learned to live with it, this was on my right side. A few weeks ago now I am in my late 40's It started down my left side. The same pain I went through before. Sciatica is worse on getting up and find it eases with walking and exercise. They say generally back pain will ease after around 6 weeks, I have had back pain for years and flare up which have become more frequent these last few years, i guess its the age thing to. The pain is like this. Like a long needle being shoved from your lower back down your leg to the foot, also have pins needles in foot going up leg as well. It can cause general weakness in your leg muscles as well. At times you feel that you want to rip your spine right out. It can bring on depression as well, and all the pain killer medications can cause stomach upsets and problems. Of this flare up I have now its my 10th week so far with this, as the other flare up I would get would start to ease around 6-8 weeks, but this time its staying. Any long term chronic pain can bring you down and is aweful, But I speak about sciatic pain. You also feel alone with it if no one else you know is not going through it as well. I get up 3x a night to walk up and down for ten minutes to ease the pain and go back to bed again, this has been my nightly routine for a few weeks now. yet when you see me walking as it starts to ease during day you would never know I had it. Its not something that you can see. If people cant see it they dont understand it. There is no cure either, there is the operation but its very risky. I wish that I never had this, but I have and just have to live with it. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your stories, I have to say I've been so well supported by NHS, private Physio, occupational health and work. I wish you all well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.