Living With SVT

Posted , 62 users are following.

Does anyone else worry about their SVT or do you just accept it as a harmless nuisance.  I can't stop worrying about getting another attack, how do you accept it and live a normal life again?

4 likes, 139 replies

139 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There's no really telling when you will get another SVT, they can be really random and anxiety can certainly trigger them. My advice to you would be talk to a EP and see what your options are. I know I hated taking medication. So many bad side effects. I opted for ablation, but in my case it was wpw and svt. It was a success, but the recovery is also a journey too.

• Edited

I spent a long time worrying that I would die and wasted about a year of my life living in constant fear of another attack! It happened again and I got rushed to hospital, I am now on the list for an ablation and when I saw the consultant a few weeks ago, he told me this 'it will not kill you and will not cause cardiac arrest, don't worry about it it's merely a nuisance to you, an inconvenience'

Since then I've got out of the house I've lived everyday and if it happens I can go to hospital if needed. I've just become single after 5 years and have a 2 year old, I have to say I have never felt so good and I can only imagine what life will be like of the ablation is successful. Go out live your life and tell SVT it won't ruin you like it has so many people. You can live with SVT just take it day by day. I'm on metoprolol beta blocker and I have to say I think it's brilliant for me. Good luck I hope you get through this it's not nice but it doesn't have to control you xx

• Posted

I've been 8 days on metoprolol and no svt in 4 days. svt tries to start but ends after just a couple of beats. so looking good here, battling a bit with the side effects thou

• Edited

Hello there this really gave me hope! I am 20 years old and I've been diagnosed with svt. Everyday I live in constant fear of the when will I get another attack.. but it's nice to know that there's others living with it and have hope. I too am on metoprolol tartate. It does help me

• Posted

Hi, I admire your attitude and wish I could feel like that. Since I was told about my SVT I cannot move on. its debilitating and happens at the most inappropriate times. I have lost all quality of life and spend most of my time locked away in my house. I used to be so independent and feel like I have lost it all. the feeling of dizziness and lightheadedness has got to be the worse and thinking I am going to collapse. dont know where it will all end.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, I'm sorry you feel at such a loss. How long have you had SVT for? I felt very much the same before I had an ablation 3 years after my first episode - each episode I had my heart beat was 260-270bpm so extremely high but thankfully never made me pass out, but always had to be stopped in hospital with adenosine and so I became extremely anxious about needing to be able to ring an ambulance and not knowing how closeby hospitals were. It made me avoid certain situations where having an episode might be embarrassing or problematic, but over time I came to accept it as something out of my control and that people were more intrigued by than anything. What is your fear that is preventing you from going out? Is it the fear of collapsing when you feel light headed and dizzy? If so, has it ever caused you to collapse? I was lucky that I didn't and so part of dealing with the anxiety it caused me was trying really hard to be rational and remember that I never did collapse. I also listed SVT in the medical bit of my phone and made a little card to put in my purse so if I did happen to collapse one day and couldn't tell anyone why then they'd hopefully find the answer in one of those places. Anyway I hope you start to feel more comfortable and positive soon - it was certainly a journey for me. Take care

• Posted

24 here and feel the same way! I just found out I had it earlier this week and my anxiety has been through the roof since my attacks have been so frequent. So thanks for sharing!

• Posted

So far I've chosen not to have an ablation...and so between the med I'm on (Metoprolol) and being very cautious with triggers, caffeine, spicy foods, low potassium, dehydration, etc it makes me worry less.

• Posted

Hi. I too have SVT and for the most part, I try not to think about it but after some severe attacks, I'm a mess for a good 10 days or so. I've just been to A&E again for the second time this month. I've seen the Cardio and he's refered me to St. Thomas for Ablation so I'm living in limbo. As I'm sure you know, everytime there is a heart flutter I freeze!! It's terrifying. I've been to A&E 3 times in the past 45 days. First time, in route a bump in te Ambulance shocked my heart back to normal. (246bpm) Second time, bumps didn't work. I waited 9 hours to call 999 at which point I tried to get up and blacked out. At A&E I was given Adenosine and it was terrifying! I saaw my life pass before my eyes.(168bpm) The drug slows the heart then shocks it back to normal. Yesterday, I had another attack at work and 999 was called. At hospital, (245bpm) I was again injected with Adenosine but it didn't take so they had to do it again, stronger and I lost it. I felt my life slipping away from me while everyone was telling me to calm down I wasn't going to die!!! Luckliy, the second injection worked and I was back to 100bpm, blood tests were all fine and I'm back home AGAIN!!! Every day I feaer another attack as I never know when or why one will happen. I've had SVT while sitting in a bubble bath, having a conversation, talking to a student....never any reasons for my heart to go svt. I will call the Cardio tomorrow and hopefully, we can move this appt forward as I can't keep going to A&E every 4-5 weeks!!!!! I don't accept the SVT. I hate it, curse it and wish it would just stop BUT I try not to obsess as that isn't helpful either. Talking to people helps a lot. Best wishes to you. I hope your svt gets treated soon.

• Posted

have you tried squatting when you get an attack? positional changes can stop attacks. lying down or fetal position can help too. drinking enough water and sleeping enough too.
  • Edited

I just found out Friday I have SVT, along with the PVCs i knew i had.  I have asked for a consult with a cardio dr and am waiting for that to happen.  In the mean  time what does everyone do?  Do people work, shop and go about their normal live.  I hate these things  :-(
    • Posted

Hi so sorry you are suffering too!! I've had it for almost 2 years but only got diagnosed last September! I go out and go to work I enjoy my life and think if it happens then I can get the help I need. Try to keep calm if it happens and use techniques to try and stop it yourself. If it doesn't help then go to your local hospital or call 999 if needed and they will help you. You can live with this. Take it as a blessing that you've been diagnosed and soon hopefully it will be a thing of the past. Don't worry it won't kill you just go about your life!! Message me anytime x

• Edited

I've had SVT for over 50 years. Remember, the last resort is medication and surgery. I have fought back, using Healthy habits and lifestyle. And it works! Your heart is a muscle and requires many things, including a good diet and exercise. The better you live, the more control you will have. And I haven't allowed it to get in the way of my ambitions and dreams! Focus and love yourself! I've done everything from joining and doing 6 years in the Marines, to bodybuilding and professional cycling. Yes, I've had episodes in the most awkward places, but you must remain vigilant! Here's a picture of me at 49, winning a 5 week Crit Series.

• Posted

You have really learned to make the most of a bad situation.  I hope i will be that brave.  I will know more once i have an appointment with a cardo dr.  I'm really hope they can reassure me.  This forum helps so much.

• Posted

I have been really good today  :-)   I have  COPD on top of all this so hubby and i went out and walked 1/2 mile today.  I came home and took my pulse and it was only 102 .  I guess i'm thinking i will be in constant SVTs but i see that is not how this works.  Thanks so much for the talks  

• Posted

1 day at a time, you can turn your life around. Returning to Health can do nothing but bring you into a focus that no one can stop. Remember, Goals are vital to a change that will last. If you need to lose weight, write down how much. If you are on medicine, do everything to get off of it. COPD can be debilitating, so make sure no smoking of any kind. Exercise and Proper Diet is crucial in bringing your mind and body together so you can feel your inner self. Good luck!
    • Edited

Hello. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. In the meantime, I work full time and attempt to live as normal a life as possible. I refuse to let SVT define me. I also have Fibromyalgia so when I have an SVT attack, my fibromyalgia flares up for about 10 days after. Nightmare, yet I still go on. I have what I call flutters every day. I can be walking around and suddenly, feel my heart beat hanging, like the beginnings of an SVT attack. My first instinct if FLIGHT!!!!!! I've been referred to St. Thomas for an ablation and am presently waiting confirmation of a date. I think we all, 'hate these things' but we have to go on. Best wished to you.

• Edited

Hi!

Where you ever getting svt during exercise? I never get an episode when I'm resting only during exercise like squatting, jumping, and quick movements. I haven't been doing much excercise lately in fear that it might happen and I feel like it's making my symptoms worse.

• Posted

I, too, have had SVT for over 50 years. I exercise daily, and have never had an attack while exercising. SVT is definitely a huge nuisance, but no ablation and no beta blockers for me, unless the attacks start coming on a daily basis. I try very hard not to let this control my life. So far, so good. I also feel a lot of this is mind over matter. I know that I can actually bring on an attack by being too anxious. It has happened to me before. Yoga is wonderful and helpful. Kudos to you, Vader, love the photo. Keep up the good work.
    • Posted

I have SVT and I have avoided medication and ablation for the past 10 years. I am 52 years old and I excercise quite regularly including playing men’s organized soccer.  I typically get one attack per month ranging anywhere from 1-3 minutes.  I consider myself lucky.  Recently I took a trip to St Lucia and found myself dealing with a few extra long episodes. It took over two hours for my heart to return to normal. I had been drinking pretty heavily for the past few days leading up to the episodes so I’m not really sure if that contributed.   My doctor did call me and did recommend that he prescribe a low dose beta blocker. Personally I’d rather not jump into medications but I  am somewhat open minded considering my latest episodes. Have you gone down that road yet and what are your experiences ?
    • Edited

had my svt 18 years, was bearable for 17 years. then in the 18th year it deteriorated was getting svts that went 4-10 hours. had 6 adenosines, hospital doctor said I need a treatment, they started me on 25mg metoprolol twice daily (the lowest dose) I take it 7am & 7pm each day and its improved. reduced my svt episodes no longer get ones that go hours. in a far better place than I was, can truly recommend beta blockers

• Posted

Hi Ken, How did you get your get your heart rate to return to normal after two hours, may I ask? I am actually starting to be afraid to travel due to the fear of a long SVT attack and not being close to a hospital. Usually if I don't get my heart rate to return after a half an hour or so, I usually end up going to the er for the dreaded adenosine. Thanks

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

you sound similar to what I'm experiencing. Have you had your ablation yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.