Living With SVT

Posted , 62 users are following.

Does anyone else worry about their SVT or do you just accept it as a harmless nuisance.  I can't stop worrying about getting another attack, how do you accept it and live a normal life again?

4 likes, 139 replies

139 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't consider it a harmless nuisance at all! Before my ablation I had attacks while driving and almost passed out a couple of times. I quit driving for awhile because I thought if I had another attack, I would be driving and kill myself or someone else . It exhausted me for several days afterwards. I was becoming paranoid about when it would come on again? It felt awful to have them, so no I do t consider it a nuisance. It can be dangerous as far as I am concerned. I've been told it won't kill me but it will make me feel crappy . My doctor had me cancel a cruise last year because I was having episodes. 

• Posted

How has it been since the ablation, Linda? Are you back to leading a normal life now without worry? I hope so.
    • Posted

Since my ablation , life has been good! It took me awhile to get my confidence back to driving , not thinking when I would have the next episode? I'm driving fine now. When I had the ablation, they found 4other abnormal rhythms. They fixed the SVT. I had atrial tachycardia, atrial flutter, afib, and asymptomatic  tachycardia. I had my ablation in October of last year and in December, I had another episode, but this time it was afib( that can cause blood clots and strokes). I was put on fleccanaide and Eluuis(blood thinner). The fleccanaide didn't work very well, so now I'm taking rythmol.this works well for me. I'm very glad I had the ablation. I will always have to be on medication due to the other rhythms , but that's okay. Haven't had any issues in probably 6 months.

• Posted

Mine has been going on since 2011, however, It was only diagnosed a few months ago.

I'm going in for a cardiac ablation this coming Monday smile

The SVT normally happens when I'm resting, never when active and usually during the evenings/nights.

However, for the past 2/3 weeks it has happened during my work hours, this of course leaves me feeling drained and quite unwell.

At night it's not such a problem because I fall asleep and have the night to get over it.

Yesterday evening it reached 189 bmp and lasted around 15 minutes. It's like running a marathon without moving!

Anyway, I'll be happy to have this defect resolved smile

I think, and this is my personal view on it, if nothing else works, i.e. medication etc, and it effects your everyday life, having SVT 2/3 times a week, the next step is an ablation.

• Posted

I totally agree with everything you said Patricia. I probably had mine 5 years before being diagnosed. They could never capture and at the last it got more and more frequent!

It is a miserable feeling, one I would not wish on anyone. Leaves you drained for several days and you have no idea when it will occur again and where you will be and if you will be driving and about to pass out like I did. I stopped driving for awhile, because I was scared I would have an accident and kill someone or kill myself. My husband drove me around for awhile. It's scary too. I am so happy I had the ablation, it was well worth it!!

• Posted

It must have been pretty frightening for you Linda, especially with it happening whilst driving.

Fortunately, all mine happened when I was doing absolutely nothing, reading a book in the evening, watching tv or just after I go to bed. It's only recently that this has begun happening during the day.

So, thankfully I'm getting it sorted soon smile

• Edited

Hi All, Does anyone know if the cruise ships today are equipped to administer Adenosine, if necessary. My husband wants to book a cruise, but, of course I'm a bit concerned if a stubborn SVT episode should occur. It's always a struggle. sad Thanks

• Edited

I don't know if they do or not? You will need to call the particular cruise ship that you want to cruise on. 

I would doubt it though? 

I had to cancel my cruise last year at the insistence of my cardiologist. He didn't want me to go out of the country. He said I wouldn't die but I would feel really bad if I had an episode. I'm much much better after my ablation and the present medication I'm on now. 

• Posted

Barbara, that is a real great idea looking into that....it would definitely give you peace of mind...I've been on a few cruises in the past, and always hoped I'ld be ok...but knowing they provide that is so reassuring!

• Edited

I personally lived with SVT for years until I honestly had enough and wanted a resolution. Have you considered having a minor heart procedure, called an ablation? And in more specifics, a "catheter ablation". I had it almost one year ago, and am now completely free of any heart issues. The procedure itself for me personally, was completely painless, but I was awake and given a general anesthetic. It is an odd procedure as doctors almost, induce, heart palpitations to find where the issues are specifically. I highly would suggest you do some research and look into the procedure... it honestly changed my life. 

• Posted

I am having my ablation Jan 16th. Just so anxious about it. Can not wait for it to be over
    • Posted

I too was very anxious, but All turned out very good and got my SVT fixed. Prayers for yours to be successful! 
    • Edited

Just had my ablation 2weeks ago.I was so nervous I had an SVT before I went down , but I can tell you there is nothing to it honest. I know that's easy for me to say now I've had it done but when you've had it done you'll wonder why you were ever anxious...and the feeling of never having an SVT again and having a normal life is amazing..so go have it done and please don't worry.

• Posted

After you have your ablation , you may have some palpitations afterward at times. It takes the heart to heal 3 months. I had a little shortness of breath for a couple of months and my chest felt full. Not everyone has symptoms afterwards though from the ablation. I did though. It was because the heart was healing. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words.I am having alot of anxiety over this, The physical stuff.Just want it to be over.

2 more sleeps........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.