Living without venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been taking it for 5 years .was taking 75mg twice a day felt after 2 years one a day may be better because it seemed Igot stressed often for no reason.now i just want to get off it don't want to go through the mood swings etc .I have read posts and skunds like once you get free of it you do feel better.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I’ve come of them totally, I was on them roughly same time, it took some grit and determination and the withdrawal was not very nice but it’s definetly worth it, I’m on sertraline now, 1 tablet before bed and I’m feeling fine xx good luck, you can do it xx
  • Posted

What is Sertraline for?  I am going to be coming off Ven(37.5 mg’s) in the next few weeks and my Dr has said it may be a rough ride for a week or so.   Not looking forward to that but I really want off these meds!!!!!  I’ve heard drinking lots of water and multi vitamins help also!!!!  Too bad there wasnt a magical solution for this. I’m pretty sure I would take it. Lol
    • Posted

Its a type of antidepressant known as an SSRI . Sertraline helps many people recover from depression, and it has fewer unwanted effects than older antidepressants.  I weened of the VEN myself took about 9 months but I struggled towards the end so went to docs and she said I’d done really good to come off them so quick, I just take the sertraline at night, read up on it as you might be able to take them along side coming off the Ven x
    • Posted

Thanks a bunch rachy. Will def read up on it as I want to get off Ven. I plan on doing accupuncture as well as working out a bunch.   As I said I’m only on 37.5 so I hope itsnot too much f a shock. I have been on that dosage for 8 weeks so hopefully the old noodle has adapted!!!!  Lol. Enjoy your day. 
  • Posted

Hello

i spent 18 months tapering off 150mg Venlafaxine. I weighed out the beads using a jewellery scale I bought online. I removed 15mg of beads each time. I reduced any time I felt like I could handle it. Everything went fine and I had no withdrawal until the last drop. It hit me like a bolt of lightning.  The anxiety and panic was extreme. Brain zaps like a bass drum in my ears. I have been badly managed by my doctor who refuses to admit withdrawal exists. He put me on olanzapine to calm the anxiety and back on a higher dose of Venlafaxine.  So now I am on 150mg Venlafaxine each morning and 75mg each night. I came off the olanzapine just under a month ago.  Bam..hello withdrawal, cue crying spells, anxiety, insomnia, etc etc even with the venlafaxine. This has been going on since January. A hell of a roller coaster. In my desperation while googling I came across “the road back program”. I read the book as advised and so far the supplements have made a positive difference. I am sleeping and coping with simple life. I’ve been off work for a while but am beginning to feel I could handle going back.  I have great support in my mum and mother in law.  I’m hoping that by using the program I can make it off the Venlafaxine.  I’m in the process of changing my doctor too.  My other one has had 6 months to help and I’m just not getting the care and support i need. Best of luck to you in your journey.  Some people have told me I shouldn’t google and look at forums but without it I would have none of the knowledge I have today, and that is the reassurance and power I need. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.