Loads of cuts and scabs on my head suddenly?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is a bit of a weird one! In the last week, I have started getting really bad scabs on the top of my head. From the forehead (these are the more obvious ones), and then also I can feel them on the scalp itself when I rub my hands through it.

What could be causing this? I'm on co-codamol for pain in my left arm (trapped nerve in my back), but I'm sure that can't be causing it. The only reason I noticed them is:

1. Blood on my pillow
  2. A big fat scab right in the centre of my forehead (not there any more). It was about 1cm wide, and 4 or 5mm high!

They don't hurt (and there was no white/blackhead there before)

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Here is a picture of the main one on my head now:. The others have died back a bit now (the one in the middle in particular).

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you changed your shampoo?I'm sure this isnt head lice, but certainly sounds odd to have happened suddenly and with no itching. If it gets worse do see your doctor.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Nope, I've not changed anything (soap powder, shampoo, deoderant etc). It's all very weird! The front of my head was "scabless" yesterday afternoon, and this is how it looks this morning after waking up:

I'll keep an eye on it (and keep photos), and then go to the docs if it gets worse / won't go away.

thanks

Andy

• Posted

I hate to suggest bed bugs but thats always a thought. But I am sure that would itch.

• Posted

Wouldn't there be bites all over then though? This just seems to be my forehead and scalp area

• Posted

If they have just arrived and are behind your pillow area then it would probably only be your head affected. You could try stripping the bed and looking inside the pillowcase, under the mattress , behind the headboard, and on the wall. If they are bed bugs you should also find traces of tiny faeces. I doubt its bed bugs because you would be complaining of itching.

• Edited

I just had a look, and all I can see under the pillow is some black fluff (presumably from my PJs) . It is also a special CPAP one so I doubt anything would live inside it (as its just foam)

I had a look under the mattress topper and couldn't see anything untoward either. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see if I get more (and keep a picture  diary that I can show the doctor if I need to go and ask about it)

Thanks 😃

• Posted

Could be a insect bite or it could be a cut made during your sleep. It looks like it will heal, and get better with no problems by the end of the week.

• Posted

Yup - it went away after a couple of weeks. Still not sure what caused it. I had about 10 of them , but all on my head.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.