Lock jaw after a tooth infection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a severe tooth infection almost 2 months ago, went to urgent care and got amoxicillin and after 5 days it still wasn't helping any so went back and they gave me bactrum. Within 3 days I was feeling better and around 6 days I was pain free. Now 3 days ago I noticed pain in that same side of my mouth and not able to open my mouth much. It hurts to chew and hurts when pressure is applied to that side of my face and hurts when I open my mouth. When eating I can only eat soft stuff that I can kinda push in. Anything on a spoon or fork has to be level. I can't afford the dentist and with raising 6 boys it's hard to find someone to watch them so I can go to the doctor.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you have had to cope with this. Sometimes antibiotics is not always enough and a follow up appt is alway something to consider. 

You can see a ER doc a second time ask for referal for a doc that specializes in your case. 

Its important that you get well . A mom of children needs to take care of herself first to take care of children who depend on Moms. I hope you can get this sorted out soon and some docs will see you and charge according to your income. Call the state aide in your area for more info. 

In the mean time see the ER doc asap. You may suffer bone loss if it's not completely healed from infection. It's not lock jaw it's a muscle/ joint issue important to see a doc no matter how much it costs. Never take your health for granted! I hope to hear that you have been in to see a doc soon! 

• Posted

I experienced almost the same thing, with the pain which went away then came back with a vengeance sometime later.

The difficulty I had with opening my mouth was that the infection caused mega-swelling in my jaw, probably the pus and stuff collected. You really have to see a doctor, since that could turn even worse, although I suspect it's a dentist you really need. =(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.