Locked Jaw following wisdom tooth infection

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had wisdom tooth pain from an impacted wisdom tooth (on it's side and already errupted). I went to my dentist who gave me axmocicillin. The day after my jaw locked almost closed and hasn't released for 2 weeks now. I'm now on a different medication Metronidazole for 3 days. I have 2 days left. But my jaw has closed up even further to the point I can't get more than a level teaspoon of food into my mouth and am eating soft / mashed or liquid food because it hurts to chew anything.

I am in the UK - so national health service. I am hoping to see my GP (doctor) tomorrow to see if can get a referral to get it checked out or what she advises. If this fails to produce anything I'll have to go back to my Dentist on Monday when I've run out of medication. My dentist did seem to think it can happen where the wisdom tooth infection has caused the jaw locking rather than it being due to clenching or anything.

I'm really worried and wondering if anyone has any advice or insight into this?

Thanks,

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YOU MUST!!!! Please ASAP! This happened to me age 18 in the 1960s! Please get to see a GP first thing in the morning don't take no for an answer as of course it's Friday tomorrow! If you fail, I would go to  A&E if you are refused. You will NOT be wasting anyone's time. Obviously your dentist has given you an antibiotic but it hasn't worked. You do need urgent attention tomorrow. Your jaw is locking, if you can't see a GP or Dentist first thing tomorrow go to A&E. It is possible that your impacted wisdom tooth has caused an infection. If the infection spreads you may be quite poorly. I don't know how old you are, but if you are under 18 please tell a parent that you need to get help tomorrow!!! 
    • Posted

Thanks Pam. Will make sure I get seen tomorrow (I'm 43). I've been reading up on Trismus since posting here, and it does sound like I need to get seen to urgently. The dental nurse on Tuesday did say that GP could help if I couldn't see them (I had failed to get an appointment with the dentist on the monday as all emergencies had gone). The dentist did think the wisdom tooth had sparked the locked jaw, and even had to explain to the dental nurse she had seen it before - as the nurse blamed clenching of jaw.

it did release slightly last week on the amoxicillin up to two fingers gap but is down to the point now that I have just put in a tablet which scrapped my teeth going in so it's very worrying now.

Thanks again for your post. I'll update as and when I have some news.

• Posted

Good luck, I hope you managed to get an appointment!
    • Posted

Thanks Pam, saw my GP today, no sign of ear infection and she gave me alternative anti-biotics with instruction to go back to dentist (see a trend here..) on Monday. I have the option of A&E in nearby city which has a dental section but hoping not to need that.
    • Posted

Well at least you are covered by an anti biotic over the weekend! I didn't like to say too much until now. This was in the 1960s I was at Cambridge, the medical officer said go to a dentist who said swill your mouth out with salt water! The next day I woke up, jaw locked, scribbled a note, train home, note to parents, bus to dentist who gave me a jab! When he looked in my mouth I was white as far as he could see! He then gave me an antibiotic and said its a good thing you came home, another 24 hours and you would be dead! I was 18! Please if things worsen over the weekend remember this!!!
    • Posted

Goodness I'm glad you went home and got treatment - scary stuff! This is the third anti-biotic I'm on now so am getting pretty sick of taking pills. But will go back to my dentist on Monday.

My husband said my voice speech sounded different last night so need to be careful of it closing up anymore, I'm due in work on sunday (I work in a shop part time) but took thursday off so will see how things are tomorrow before I decide whether I'm going in. not ideal but talking all day won't be either.

• Posted

Seriously if it worsens go to the dental department of your hospital! Don't think you will be a bother to them you won't .  
    • Posted

Dentist appointment today - stop taking anti-biotics as the new ones (3rd set) are going through me. Ibuprofen only or now, and referral to hospital oral and maxo dept.

Dentist wanted to xray but it was broken so they'll do that at hosital too.

• Posted

Good, I think that HAS to be the correct decision
    • Posted

Rang the hospital to find out what happens next and it seems I may go into a 26 week waiting list.
    • Posted

Ended up going to A&E and seeing the on call facmax dr. Then another dr from their dept and they broke the news they were admitting me to hospital - I was shocked as had half expected to get nowhere. My husband was a lot less shocked.

I had the wisdom tooth removed yesterday under general anaesthetic (tubed me through the nose - whch wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be). The jaw they were able to prop open while I was asleep and found the infection had cleared with the anti-biotics so that was good news as they were fearing it might have been an abscess and need part of the jaw removed but it was best case scenario really.

I'm home today, mild swelling by wisdom tooth area, mouth can open a fraction more than it idd before.

I've been given a follow up appointment in 6 weeks and have exercises to do (with tongue depressors). Anti biotics for a week and a prognosis of it taking 'months not weeks' for my jaw to open and the muscle to come out of spasm.

So.. a long road ahead but a good step forward - thanks for the support Pam.

• Posted

omg.... Good news al last. Couldn't help but jump in. Your case sounde really scary. Hope you are on the road to recovery. And this will b a far, far memory soon. 

I have sufferd with an abscess and it is very painful. Mine was due to a cracked filling and under the root became infected. Lost the tooth but my jaw still is sore from the ordeal 10 years ago. A few pain meds got me they it.

peace & healing

• Posted

Love the pic of the horse. Is it yours. I'm a horse lover from way back!
  • Posted

Your most welcome, I'm so glad that you had it dealt with and in hospital under a GA!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.