Locked knee and torn cartilage

Posted , 3 users are following.

After three months had an MRI scan and having keyhole surgery next Tueday to repair this. Having a lot of back and hip pain because limping for a long time. What is the recover time after this op. Just feels like a cripple at the moment legs very stiff regards Bev

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bev,

I too am having a knee arthroscopy, mine is tomorrow. I will be interested to hear how others have coped and how long the recovery period is. I have been advised to take 4 weeks off work after, I think it depends on what your job is? I am a staff nurse so I am on my feet for 8 hours!!

Good luck with your surgery!! Please feel free to ask me any questions over the next few weeks if I can help you?

Pauline.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Did yiu have to wait a long time for your op and are you in pain now. .? Hope all goes well for you tomorrow and your up and about soon. My job is sitting down but find it very hard to walk very far as the knee is locked.
    • Posted

Well I did the injury last October, I fell down some steps when I was recovering from a knee replacement on the other knee!!

I had the MRI at the end of January saw the consultant for the results about 5 weeks later. He put me on the waiting list and it's been 6 weeks since then, So it's not been too bad I suppose? I haven't had the 'locking' just pain especially climbing stairs, getting in and out the car, and getting off the settee?

The MRI showed I have 2 tears either side of my knee. Best of luck with your op too!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply best of luck to you take care and let us know how it goes for you πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ Bev
  • Posted

Hey Finley

I had keyhole surgery for a similar situation, a small piece of bone had broken off and kept getting wedged in my knee causing it to lock up, as well as having my cartlidge 'fixed'. I had four weeks off work, but now 18 months later I still have problems. I went for a slow jog Thursday and haven't been able to walk since. Everyone is different though I may just be really unlucky!

Hayley

• Posted

Oh dear that does not sound good, are you going back for some more options to fix your problem.
    • Posted

I don't know I was told it would always give me trouble after surgery so not sure if there's much else they could do. Don't let it out you off this is just my experience, and probably the half-assed NHS approach
    • Posted

Hope they can do something for you. I went private to see a knee surgeon and MRI scan as the NHS waiting list for far to long and doctor didn't seem that interested with my problem. He knew what it was as soon as he examined me but needed a MRI scan for the operation. Hope you can get yourself sorted though.
    • Posted

My doctor was the same, they didn't even seem sure what the problem was and even said it might be best if I didn't have surgery! Bearing in mind my knee kept locking and I couldn't move it for weeks! So in my eyes it needed fixing. If only I could afford to go private πŸ˜” good luck for your op, the best bit is putting your feet up whilst others run round for you lol
    • Posted

Thanks and hope you can get yourself sorted out. Will keep you informed hope he does a good job he sorts out the Welsh Rugby team so should be good lol πŸ˜€
    • Posted

Hello , 11 days after knee arthrscopy and I seem to be doing well. No crutches but leg stiff and feels alittle weak still. Sometimes when I get up get little locking pain on the inside of my knee. Wonder if this is normal?  Regards Bev. P.s haven't walked that far as yet just around the house and alittle nervous to drive 😬

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.