London Eye Hospital fails to deliver

Posted , 6 users are following.

LEH still seems totally uninterested in investigating what goes wrong, when an AMD lens transplant doesn’t work, but leaves the patient with a deteriorated vision. Once you have paid for the procedure they have no further interest in you, nor are they interested finding out why the procedure had the opposite effect from what was expected and communicated to the patient. So, no answers from the LEH.

My solicitor has requested my my medical records from the LEH, but unsurprisingly they hasn’t received the files. In fact, he has not even received a reply from LEH.

I have with the help of  my husbond written a complaint to the LEH about the poor treatment and lack of response from the LEH, and asked for my money back and a compensation for my deteriorated vision after the lens implant. Again, there has been no answer from the LEH.

We really don’t know what more we can do to make the LEH to engage in the matter. Below you’ll find the content of the mail my husbond sent to the General Manger of the LEH, Mr. Lee Brearley:

Dear Mr Lee Brearley,

You may recall the unfortunate case of my wife, Astrid Bergmann. I shall not go into the finer details of this unhappy chain of events, but just briefly remind you, that my wife firstly, in September/October 2015, had your iolAMD lenses implanted in both eyes. Contrary to your expectations, and our hopes, she was left with a significantly deteriorated vision.

Her vision was measured before the implant (with glasses in brackets) and the reading was 6/30 (6/15) on the right eye and 6/120 (6/19) on the left eye.  After the implant, she was left with a vison of 6/60 (6/19) on the right eye and 6/6? (6/48) on the left eye.

This was distinctly different from what was expected by Mr. M A Qureshi, who told us that in his experience and based on more than 500 similar operations, we could expect an improvement by at least 30 %, but likely more. On this basis we made the decision for Astrid to go through the procedure and paid GBP 22,000 to LEH.

To remedy the poor result of the initial operations, LEH suggested to explant the iolAMD lenses, and instead implant the new EyeMax Mono lenses, as Ms Claire Wilson expected this would result in at least restoring Astrid’s vision to what it was before the first implant, and probably better.

However, her vision after the second implant was by you measured to 6/120 (6/30) on the right eye, and 6/120 (6/48) on her left eye.

We now understand that Astrid’s vision will not recover to the level it was before we got in touch with LEH. Astrid must now seek to recover as much quality of life as possible and we will seek financial compensation for her loss. We therefore demand the return of the payment for the operations GBP 22,000 and a compensation for her deteriorated vision of GBP 100,000.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It would seem a very different story to that posted by June Brown of Coronation street regarding the eyemax mono lens reported in the press. I wonder how much truth is being spoken by Bobby Quereshi.
    • Posted

The mail released another article a couple of days later which ripped the London Eye Hospital and Qureshi to bits. They have been investigating them for a while. It's titled "would YOU pay 15000 for this miracle eye cure".

• Posted

I was under the impression that lens transplant did not benefit ARMD did you do any research before agreeing to the procedure?
    • Posted

I did not make any research befor agreeing to the procedure, but relied on what LEH and Qureshi told me - stupid me - I will never trust Qureshi again. I belive some can benefit from his lenses. But Qureshi do not care if someone do not benefit from the lens implant, and are uninterested in finding out why many do not get better vision after the implant, or even deteriorated vision as I did, as long as the have paid.
  • Posted

The only thing I can suggest and I don't know if it would help would be to complain to the British Medical Association to see if they can pressurise the LEH to respond to you in a more favourable way

• Posted

So sorry to hear this.  My lawyer eventually got a refund for the procedure, but had to be very persistent.  I also called, and e-mailed the LEH very regularly.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.