Long dull abdominal pain, right side

Posted , 4 users are following.

25 years of age, since roughly 2 months ago i have been experiencing a pain in the right side of my abdomen (just right of my belly button) that would last on average 8-12 hours. The pain usually appears at night time just before bed, but has affected me during the day aswell. The pain is moderate/moderately severe, ie it stops me from doing day to day activities but not so bad that im rolling around on the floor.

Paracetamol is completely ineffective against the pain.

Doctors seem to be at a loss but suggest it may be gallstones. They have ruled out Appendicitis and muscle cramps.

Any extra knowledge, helpful hints appreciated.

Chris

x

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I'm 24 and I've been experiencing the exact same pain for the last 2 years. At the beginning they thought it was appendicitis, muscle damage and gallstones but all of this came back clear. It then developped into chest pains and heartburns, I had an endoscopy and they found out that I have a hiatus hernia. I had then a 24 hour Ph test which allowed them to diagnose me with biliary reflux, unfortunately I have been left with no treatment or no pain management options and I'm in pain every single day without exception... I'm French but work here in the UK so I have booked an appointment there when I come back for holidays see if they can help me there...I suggest you to ask for at least an endoscopy to see if the problem comes from your stomach. 

I hope you find some relief soon!

Maelle

x

• Posted

Hi can u explaine a bit more about your symptoms? I too have the same thing off on pain/discomfort like if there is something there in the same spot right upper stomach sometimes a pulling feeling more pain tho. Pain scale 1-10 is a 5 tops not even. But it's there and I've never had this experience so I'm freaked out going in to the ER today I'm a tell them I think it's Ulcers or. Hpylori or just plain gstritis which I was told 2months ago I'm showing symptoms and just to get Pepsid which I been doing it for a week and nope no help. I feel a burning sensation not mayjor in my stomach my lower breast feel tender now which is a new symptom. I'm having GERD which feel like my chest is on fire not horrible tho.. I've had off on pain/discomfort since June not anything bad and not everyday on feb 20th around there is when it got worse and more burning sensation and more prisistant pain. Be noticed I've had some nausea but goes away quick.. My bowel movements are normal no constipation or dihareea. Saturday my stool floated and was a plae white brown color and haven't had that happen agin. I had a CBC blood work done which checked live function and kidneys everything is great .. Please if anyone has these symptoms please comment
  • Posted

I have no burning sensations of any kind, or acidic refluxes and no chest pains or heartburn as of yet, probably should mention that ive never been much good at "passing wind" and during the pain, sometimes get this feeling of something moving around (air)?

I have an appointment for an ultrasound on the 3rd (so far away)

My bowel movements seem reasonable, though i seem to be passing urine more often but with less content.

The pain itself is mostly rooted in place, it hardly ever moves around

• Posted

does this pain where you experience it seem to swell? for example, like a pouch shaped swelling?
    • Posted

More of  a bloating feeling than a swelling

Just a little update, pain started at 4.30pm, makes me feel sickly and need to be constantly moving to manage it. Appetite has plummeted dramatically. Got rushed to hospital at about 8.30, had 20mg of morphine (no effect on pain), about 11.00 got seen to, blood and urine tests (like before), result the same - all ok. Given me a box of co-codamol that will last 3.5days big woo. Is it more effective than paracetamol?

Sat at home (now 1.00) pain is lingering but managable

• Posted

A little update. Just had the ultrasound, need to wait a week for results.

The pain seems to have manifested into a completely constant (ie - never going) but slightly less painful pain ?

The doctor gave me something called Colofac. What is this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.