Long flight ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

we have just heard that a close family member is critically ill in New Zealand and likely to pass away imminently. My husband is planning to fly out ASAP but we are considering whether I should go too.I am 7 weeks post op from enterocele, rectocele and perineal repair and doing well. Not uncomfortable sittIng in normal life, things still feel swollen after walking. 

I have done done the trip quite a few times, though usually with a bit if a midway break which won't happen this time. Have checked aurline and travel insurance and am at an OK length of time to do from their point of view. As I mentioned in another post, I am not scheduled for a check up for another couple of months 

Anyone else done a v long ( it's 26 hours + with a transit I the middle) with similar or have a view on this ?

i have usually gone Business before ( frequent flyer points from husband's travel heavy job ) but it will be down the back in Economy for this.

0 likes, 16 replies

Report

16 Replies

  • Posted

    Oh gosh you poor thing. Hugs from New Zealand. Is it possible to ring your Surgeons rooms and ask them to urgently get his opinion on such a huge journey. I wonder what the DVT risk still is too. What part of NZ are you trying to come to? I'm guessing you are coming from UK?

    Report
    • Posted

      Thank you for replying - you must be up quite late ! Just to Auckland, so no onward, thankfully. My husband is now going to fly out tonight ( in a few hours), taking suitable luggage for me in case I do decide to go in a couple of days  after various things have been arranged. I am not worried about travelling on my own like this  - I did so, though only a short hop to Sweden, after a cystocele repair last year and just got assistance for lifting bags into overhead lockers etc. This is a bigger  deal though. 
      Report
  • Posted

    Hi Mari88 Really sorry to hear your sad news. sounds like a difficult time for your family.

    I am 15 weeks post op from rectocele and another procedure to tuck my bowel. at 11 weeks my husband booked me a surprise weekend away, this was in uk but ment a 6 hour drive x2, now i know its nothing like flying for the amount of time you will be but it really took its toll on me, infact its taken about 3 weeks to get over. i found immense pressure from sitting and we stopped every hour, you wont have that luxury though you can walk around a bit. it really took it out of me. 

    Like Robyn says I seriously recommend you phone your consultants clinic to see if the secretary can speak to them for you. this is a massive journey without the emotional reasons you are travelling for and Im not sure if it will set back your recovery. which is why you need to check.

    After all that I hope you decide what is right for you and if you do travel I wish you a very safe journey.

    please let us know how you get on and my thoughts are with you and your family

    best wishes Mik x

     

    Report
    • Posted

      Thank you for your reply. We have just been out for an errand and sitting on a firm car seat for a mere half hour made me wonder how 26+ was going to be, especially with swelling, and I do tend to puff up.  I also know that my stamina nothing like it normally is - I feel fine around the house but I am in a bubble at the moment. I am working but just part time from home in a very  unstressful way and that is tiring me. I know  that my surgeon has a clinic this afternoon, so may be able to get a reply to a message then.

      it is my MIL - well into her 90s, and had been on amazing form until a few months ago. My husband has several siblings and there are international phone calls and emails flying around - we are all sad, but it has been a life well lived and she is not in distress, from what we here.

      I am not rushing to decide - there are arrangements to make here and I need to think through all the implications. 

      Report
    • Posted

      Oh bless her!! Very sad for you guys being so far away!! I live in Auckland!! It's 11pm here. I'm a night owl. If I can help out at this end then please let me know. Hope you can make the right decision real soon. My gut instinct tells me you shouldn't do it! It's a very long way as you know & one long leg of it needs to be a sleeping one. Plus you've got a complete flip of a time change. Safe travels to your Hubby. Cyber Hugs

      Report
    • Posted

      Thank you smile My husband is a brilliant sleeper on planes whereas, even on the occasion we have had First sectors with flat beds, I sleep not a wink. There is other family in Auckland so places to stay etc. My feeling is leaning  away from going, atm. 

      Report
    • Posted

      Great that he can get good sleep on flights. I take pills on long haul sleeper flights!! All the best & thoughts are with you & your family.

      Report
  • Posted

    Obviously if it is essential you go, you could do it.  However, at 7 weeks your stamina is nowhere near back to normal and you would likely be too tired and achey to do anything once you arrived.  It could mean you distracting your husband from what he needs to do for his mother, possibly.
    Report
    • Posted

      Yes, the thought had already struck that I might be a liability rather than a support rolleyes 

      Report
  • Posted

    My doctor explained no flying for 3 months BC of blood clots are a higher risk after surgery. Ask your doctor BC this is serious. Best of luck. I am terribly sorry to hear about your family member. Prayers👼👼👼
    Report
    • Posted

      Thank you. The latest news is that she is still serious but comfortable-  it would be good if my husband gets there in time. 

      I have remembered that after my anterior repair last year, I had an appointment to,discuss doing the posterior and they suggested that it could be done before Xmas. It would have meant only a 6 week recovery before a planned trip to NZ in February.  I was doubtful and the consultant said flying nag  it would be ok but I might be quite uncomfortable. It was therefore put off until Aptril ( changed to May ). 

      I think It is unlikely that I will go - and there is another factor emerging  that my daughters are quite upset and I would like to be here to support them.

      Report
    • Posted

      can't edit this, but please ignore the 'nag it ' that bizarrely crept into the second paragraph! 

      Report
    • Posted

      I think you've made the right decision and I'm sure your where you are needed with your daughters, which is just as important you always need your mum. Take care and keep resting xx

      Report
  • Posted

    Just as a follow up, for those who were kind enough to respond to this thread. My husband was able to get there in time and was able to say his goodbyes  then she had a very peaceful passing,surrounded by her sons. It was the right decision for me not to travel : my daughters and I had our own quiet time, exchanging memories and looking at many happy family photos. 
    Report
    • Posted

      So glad everything worked itself out. You made the right decision which was a tough choice but i'm sure your girls were comforted by you being with them.

      My thoughts go out to your family near and far.

      Take care Mikx

      Report
    • Posted

      Happy to read it all went smoothly, although sadly. Also glad that you didn't rush and go too.

      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up