Long haul flight?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my right hip replaced about 19 days ago. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the rules are about long haul flights post surgery? I have booked a flight to US for August 1 but perhaps that is too soon?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My surgeon said that the blood clot risk returns to normal at 6 weeks. So I felt happy flying to Greece (3.5 hours) at 6 weeks and 4 days. Took a cushion with me to raise the seat plus my crutches. Got an aisle seat and walked around a lot also doing foot exercises when I was sat down.

How long is your flight? - long haul might need a discussion with your surgeon?

Joan

• Posted

Joan,

I had a blood clot in the lung (PE) between week 7 - 8, my sister-in-law had one also a PE, in week 11. Maybe your doctor is not aware of the risks of clots.

• Posted

Hi I'm 24 days post surgery and I had a long haul flight to Hong Kong arranged for 3rd August which meant I would be about 9 weeks post op. However I have been advised against flying due to the increased risk of DVT so I've cancelled. If you decide to fly you might want to check that you are covered by your insurance should anything go wrong. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

I'm just 4 days post THR, age 58 with absolutely no hx of problems. Since I was planning a holiday in a few months, I asked this very question and was told "no flying" for 3 months.

• Posted

I was told short haul six weeks and long haul twelve weeks. Ideally you should check with your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi i had both my hips done 8 weeks ago, trying to fly abroad about 4 weeks ago , i had an insurance issue, had difficultly getting travel insurance , in the end decided to wait, i will go in another month

• Posted

Thanks all - I will certainly ask surgeon, but to be honest I think it doesn't really seem worth the risk! Best wishes to you all for a wonderful recovery!

• Posted

Check with your doctor for sure. My experience is to wear surgical stockings and sit no longer than 30 minutes at a time, get up and walk the aisle to keep the circulation moving but again I stress call your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.