Long Haul Flight Post TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All,

I'm hoping to go away on a far far away holiday and wondered how others had coped with a long haul flight. I will be nearly 6 months post tkr by the timeI intend going. My worry is swelling and pain whilst away and I'm even considering not going for fear of the unknown. Should I be worried? I'd be very grateful if you would be kind enough share your experiences with me so I can get some idea of what to expect and to what avoid? Thank you x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure long haul but I have just returned from holiday to Rhodes sanctioned by my consultant and I was six weeks TKR. he told me to wear my surgical stockings keep hydrated and do my leg exercises. The flight was approx 4 hrs. I followed his advice to the letter and I was absolutely fine. I paid for extra leg room and got up and walked around. I suffered no effects what so ever. My return journey was the same and again no effects. As long as you follow advice I do not see a problem. I read up on flying after orthopaedic surgery and although considered higher risk infact it is very rare to suffer DVT. hope that helps x
  • Posted

I have used compression stockings. I also always order a wheel chair. Makes boarding and deplaning much easier. Also on plane, it is helpful to move around.
  • Posted

Hi Kat, same here I'm just back from Almeria 3 hour flight 4 months out from TKR. I had no problems with my knee thank goodness. Long haul could be different but may require wearing compression stockings and moving up and down the aisle? Ask your doctors advice but I'm sure you'll be fine. A friend lives in Furtive tural and travelled at 4 months all round the place. She's 80!!

• Posted

Absolutely no worries, I went to New Zealand 6 months after my TKR and drove myself throughout the two islands, with no side effects. Check with your GP first if you have doubts.

Enjoy life.

Blee.

• Posted

Hello kat1e. Travelled to Australia last year 6 months after tkr. My advice - book an aisle seat  so your operated leg is by the walkway.Gives opportunity to stretch leg and go for occasional walk without disturbing anyone. And of course don't forget a few in flight exercises - heal lifts and foot pumps.

Telescopic walking stick is an asset and easy to stow on flight.

My trip to Oz was 7 hour and 11 hour flights and coped pretty well. I would suggest an aisle seat is an essential requirement

• Posted

It sound like I have nothing to worry about and to just use common sense and keep everything moving.I still struggle coming downstairs and I dreamt last night that I couldn't get down the plane's steps and they had to get help and I was soooo embarassed. It was just a dream but got me thinking. You guys have stopped me panicking with your replies so thank you all very much. I'm away in November so will update this post for anyone that has the same issue in the future.

Thanks again guys. Not sure what I'd do without you all xxx

• Posted

I went on an eight hour flight six months after my first tkr. No worries at all. I'm planning on doing the same after my next tkr which should be around March next year, am planning for a six week holiday with long haul flights in September. Enjoy your holiday kat1e  xx

• Posted

Thanks Jenny for you reply. Everyone is giving me so much confidence to go ahead with this trip. 

Good luck with your next tkr in March. I hope all goes well for you x

• Posted

After I still have swelling pain stiffness .  I think if your able to do your exercises and can get up to walk a bit u should be ok.  Check with your doc or pt if u have some real concerns.  I'm planning on going away on a road trip for a couple of weeks, and starting to worry I won't be able to get around the way I thought I would when i made these reservations 8 months ago. And im one of those who hates to complain, will be traveling with others n don't want to hold anyone up? .?  Oh well, at least they know me well enough.  I'm six months po. Will be calling doc if these symptoms keep up.  I'm so over this, I didn't sign up for this,  aaahhhh, sorry hjust a frustrating shout out.  Try to have fun on your travels, best.... Kp 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.