Long history and going down

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a long history of depression since I was 13. I went on medication in 2005. In 2010 Medication was adjusted and I had 20 sessions of cbt. Ive never been right but its got worse. Ive seen psychiatrist and been given venaflaxine but the depression is bad...psychitrist said they wanted to see me again but ive not heard anything. I dont know my gp well as shes new. At the weekend I felt very distressed and was triggered by my session with the psychiatrist. I want to speak to my gp but im worried she wont believe me as I downplayed the issues when I saw the psychiatrist

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi ok so the first thing is you can't let your past dictate your future.

Why did you down play it when the help was there is beyond my comprehension however it's irrelevant. And done now,

The dr new, young , old even different are governed by a duty of care therefore because mental illness is still very much viewed as mis understood generally gps don't know a great deal about it so although she may be concerned about any prescriptions she gives you you are entitled to be rereffered and give it a second shot at being open, you simply explain to her that on the day you didn't feel like the person was really listening to you and you'd prefer to see another person for a second opinion this is your right she will allow you this because it has to. Be logged on your record you asked so she'll want to cover her own back as far as duty of care procedure is concerned so she won't change the meds you have been prescribed however she will definitely rereffer you you don't even have to admit you down played it you simply say I'm. It not about the diagnosis I don't think the person was listening to me.

Believe it or not it happens I went once went bk to my gp and the person from the mental health team had mixed up turned upside down jumble all the words and meaning up well I was listening to the dr read the report and was like I didn't say that lol I got rereffered

• Posted

I know it sounds like it makes no sense to downplay issues, but I have some bad associations with psychiatrists reminding me of incredibly dark moments in my life. I did not want to feel I was back there and was trying to hold it all together during the appointment when being asked about my past. It felt quite traumatic.

Anyway.. I managed to get an emergency appointment to see my gp. She was very supportive and took time to listen to me. She hasnt had the fax yet from the MH team about increasing medication but hope it comes soon.. The psychiatrist had said she wanted to see me again but I was worried they wouldnt or that this wasnt normal but my gp said its perfectly normal when starting new medications.

• Posted

Hi k8861 - talk to your doc. Repeat to her what you have told us here. If the psychiatrist is not a good fit, get another one.
    • Posted

Thanjs.. I did this. The psychiatrist was okay but I find seeing them so difficult...
  • Posted

Hi,

It was like reading my own story. I too have suffered from depression(and anxiety which comes along it) since I was 13. I also had a few psychiatrists who were bad, well I felt like they didn't want to talk to me/help me and one who said she will contact me after our first session and never did! It makes you feel worthless, having the feeling that even the people who's job is to help you, don't want to and give up on you. You HAVE to tell your gp about it! If it helps, just show her this(your) post so that she understands it is not something to be ignored. It is a serious illness and you have to get the help you deserve! Keep us posted, we are all her fore you

Love, Sara

• Posted

Thanks Sara. Finally got letter from MH team with diagnosis and plan but doesnt mention review date although she said she wanted to see me again in 4 weeks.. so anxious now.
    • Posted

Wow I can imagine you feel anxious..4 weeks seems like a really long time when you struggle every second of the day. I suggest you to find a psychologist who can see you at least once or twice a week..just someone you can talk to..or a group..whatever feels more comfortable with you! Just so you can help yourself until the next session(in 4 weeks).
  • Posted

Hi k8861,

I too had a long history of depression, since 16 that lasted 10 years, this came to an end due to having Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Treatment (TMS) at the SmartTMS clinic in London, you might want to have a look at it, it has been life-changing, I don't have depression anymore basically, please message me if you have more questions, I'd be happy to talk to you about it. 

Best Wishes,

Freddie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.