Long journey .....please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok, over a year I started getting very depressed and anxious. I have been on tons of head meds and nothing helped. Fasfowars till today my tsh finally rose enough to get a diagnosis of hypo 4.8.   My symptoms are brain fog, fatigue and no interest in things due to no energy. What should I know about these meds I was put on 13mcg of tirocit. Any tips? I was told that it should be taken in the evening. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Michael, I hope you are on the right track. I noticed no one else had replied and was uncertain if there was a typo and you were referring to tirosint? I am not particularly familiar with this medication or at all with the one you listed. This may be why there are no responses yet. Just for general information, Tirosint is T4-only medication, if I remember right T3 is the active form. Maybe someone can confirm that for me. Again, sounds like you are on the right track. Get a good physician or endocrinologist on board. You may want to also be monitoring your free T3 and free T4 levels in addition to your TSH to ensure your thyroid is being monitored effectively. THere are also other tests for adrenal issues and hasimoto's that are also typically performed. Let us know how you are feeling and how your body is responding. Best wishes!

• Posted

Hi Michael, unfortunately your experience is pretty normal. Many patients spend all their time and ebergy trying to get the elusive diagnosis, hoping for relief from meds.  Unfortunately, many find the side effects of synthetic thyroid medication are often worse than the disease, and side effects of levothyroxin range from halitosis to permanent bone loss, fibromialgya, rheumatoid arthritis, worsened thyroid disease... the list goes on and on.

You’ll need to read the insert that comes with your medication, and do an online search. I would include a link here for you, but they don’t allow web links. 

Do your research. Read the many posts in the levothyroxin group. I became horribly ill and my thyroid disease was accelerated by levothyroxin. Because of my experience, I feel this drug should never be used.

Natural Dessicated Thyroid is a better choice. ThyroGold has the least side effects, but is not available by prescription, so you’ll have to pay for it yourself. 

There are many alternative options using diet and supplements. I treat my thyroid disease (advanced) with essentual amino acid complex and additional phenylalanine. ThyroGold will generally work fir all levels of thyroid disease, where the amino acids require the presence of a thyroid gland.

There are also many dietary changes and other actions you can take to curb the advancement of thyroid disease and even achieve remission.

• Posted

Hi Michael a really good supportive group you may want to join is "Thyroid Care Group" which has lots of great info to help and is run by a naturopath who has 35 years experience and is also a physician. I attended a thyroid lecture last year. The group was started following this and I have learnt so much. You will need to answer a couple of questions.

• Posted

Meant to also say T4 levo many have problems which can be a conversion problem ie poor gut health. T4 has to convert to T3 which all the cells in the body need.
  • Posted

My t3s are in the upper normal range. Hence just the t4 since my tsh is the only thing out of range. I am felling better but very drowsy from the Remeron the docs gave me I’m going to cut the dose in half starting tonight to see if that helps. I have a great team of docs now. I wish the ranges would be changed I kept begging this is not me and somthing is wrong. The previous team would just want to give me anti dams and carry on. I told them I have nothing to be depressed about and there is somthing physically wrong. My tsh finally climbed high enough for a prescription to be written. I started off with 13 mcg of the newer gel cap stuff.  Hopefully reading the anti d will help with the drowsy ness so I can have some good days. Thanks again for all your help. Is anyone on Facebook messanger so I can ask you questions? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.