long lasting a fib

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi does anyone elses a fib last a long time mine usually last between 24 and 29 hours and that's just the rate of the fib it's awful chest pains dizziness etc but my cardio just told me to sit it out only saw him twice and he signed me off .I can cope with the rhythm but not the rate I take verapmil every day but in my opinion it makes no difference I usually have an episode once every 1 or 2 mnths but in the last 2 week I've had 2 pisodes the latter lasting 29 hrs 2 days later still feeling not so good I've spoken to a few people on here but there episodes seem only to last a few hours at most is there anyone else outthere who suffers with it for a long time and how do you cope with it etc

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had afib for four weeks pending cardioversion but went back into sinus rhythm spontaneously after rate and rhythm drug controls.
  • Posted

I'm glad Zena mentioned Magnesium because of all the things I tried using and doing to reduce and shorten the number and severity and length of my A-FIB Attacks has been the introduction of 1200mg of magnesium each day. I had even risen to 7.5mg of beta blocker Bisoprolol each day but the A-FIB would always seemingly slowly get used to the dose and would get more and more frequent until my GP increased the dose again. Within two weeks of starting the magnesium the attacks reduced from 3 or 4 a week to maybe 1 a week. It can't be coincidental as it happened so definitely and clear cut. I also take a pint of water each day with 2 teaspoons of potassium powder in it , I think the combination of Magnesium and potassium seem to be the perfect defence against A-FIB and they are the BEST things I've ever taken to help. The most annoying part is though my GP Categorically states it is impossible for it to be them that have nearly stopped the attacks and must be that my body took a while to adjust to the Bisoprolol and for the dosage to be right.

What do you

• Posted

Hi, further to the magnesium issue, are you aiming to reduce your dose over time to the daily amount recommended for males (400mg od) (females is 300mg od) ???  Perhaps your body was depleted of magnesium but, with the amount you are taking, you are likely to get quickly to a sufficient level & the rest would be surplus. I'm not sure what the kidneys do with excess Mg, but it might be worth finding out !   But I am thoroughly delighted that the Mg may have improved your situation !  (in spite of what many doctors say )    best wishes, Zena

• Posted

It's all so variable! My bouts of AF typically last 24-36 hours, though I was once in AF for about thre weeks straight. I don't think I ever get shorter attacks, but my symptoms are pretty mild so I may well miss short bouts. I don't get any pain or even discomfort - fatigue for the first few hours, but that's about all. It's only the heightened, irregular pulse rate that gives me definite evidence of being in AF. (I'm on Sotalol, 240 mg/day. And Warfarin as anti-coagulant.)

• Posted

Just to illustrate BampaOwl's comment here are two ecg traces I recorded myself whilst waiting for four weeks in atrial fibrillation pending a cardioversion.

?The first trace shows a perfectly regular rhythm after analysis by my monitor.

?However the second trace reported short runs, short beats, irregular beats and missed beats. The former was not noticeable as atrial fibrillation but the latter was recorded after my first cup of coffee after being discharged from the cardiac ward and was quite worrying.

?My GP when shown these traces recognised them as records of atrial fibrillation but was more interested in reducing my anti-coagulant medication.

?You may note there is no evidence of any p-waves in these records which is a sign of atrial fibrillation.

• Posted

Hi Michele, my afib was lasting weeks and then my doctor put in a pacemaker! I'm doibg so much better now! Hope you find what helpsyou! Good luck!

• Posted

Mine are usually less than 24 hours but I am in one now for 36. Had been having a bad bout lately with about 4 episodes in the last month...usually I would have 1 or 2 a year. Was cadioverted for the 1st time last November and it seems and now I have had all the episodes after that.. not sure if that helped the messed up pathways or not.

• Posted

My latest news is that I had cryo-ablation in mid-December (in Edinburgh) and after a couple of short bouts within a couple of weeks I now seem to be clear. Touch wood! In the process of coming off beta blockers.

The ablation seemed very straightforward and not at all unpleasant.

• Posted

Hi Michelle,I also AF which can last up to 7 days non stop.i can never tell how long I am going to have it for, I have just had a second ablation which has been very difficult as I have a twisted heart and joined vein and enlarged atria due to the AF.i have already had 23 hours of AF since my procedure 9 days ago.it takes me several days to get over an episode ,mine end when my blood pressure drops right down until I feel as if I am going to pass out.i am so sorry to hear you have long episode as well.i wish you well regards betteann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.