Long Lasting Flu-like Virus - Have You Had One?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everybody!

I've been suffering for about 10 weeks with some kind of mystery virus and am wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar recently?

It first started with typical flu symptoms, I lost my appetite, had trouble eating etc. and just generally felt off.

Then I had a high fever and felt all kinds of terrible with bronchitis symptoms. 

It then seemed to spread downwards and I had trouble in that department both front and back.

Whatever it was that was attacking me also had me getting chills, and sweating far too much, even at night.

Plus, it seemed to kick off a bad case of anxiety and I had anxiety-related symptoms.

Others I mustn't forgot to mention are: aches, painful joints, red eye, dry mouth.

I got tested for Flu and also Mono/GF, but both were negative. So it must have been virus! I'm still having some symptoms too, but overall feel better than I did, just haven't gotten rid of it yet I don't think.

The closest thing I can find to something similar is adenovirus, but that should only last around 1 week? Not sure!

Have you had anything similar? How long did it last? Or are you still suffering now? 

Any replies much appreciated!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes i've been similar. Mine started with sinusitus about 2 months ago i got anti biotics for that which cleared the sinus but still have the aches and pains,fatigue and now being treated for a chest infection. Like you am feeling a bit anxious and down, oh well cant last for ever.

• Posted

I have had a cold type virus now for over 4 weeks. The week before I got it I had only a mild sore throat but by the end of this first week I felt really tired and started with the usual cold symptoms of continuously blowing nose, headaches, tired,blocked sinuses etc.

Since then I still fatigued and have no energy and have all the cold symptoms as well as a bad chesty cough that I have during the day but which is especially bad at night

affecting sleep. Been taking cough medicine and anything else I can think of to try and get rid of this. I also have a wheezy chest and have minimal sense of smell or taste for all this time.

I've been to my GP who said that due to the length of time I've had these symptoms he is prescribing 5 days of antibiotics as a sinus infection may be trickling down the throat and making the cough worse. Also got a nasal spray. He said he could hear no infection in my chest and blood pressure etc is normal. Thinks its a viral illness and has had other patients in who have had similar symptoms over 4 weeks.

I've already had the flu jab but this is the longest period of time I had cold symptoms like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.