Long light period

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 53 years old and when I didn't have a period for 7 months thought that was it - I'd hit menopause. However, they returned 3 months ago, as they were before. This month, my period came more or less when expected, but it is much lighter than usual and has so far dragged on for 7 days with no sign of stopping, whereas my usual periods lasted no more than 4 or 5 days. I just wondered if there are other ladies of around my age experiencing these symptoms and what they might mean? Looking things up on the Internet always seems to be a mistake as alarming suggestions of "pre-cancerous this and that" pop up. Starting to feel quite anxious!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

ditto Janey,

periods are all over the place and unpredictable, it's a pain and all part of meno, however, If your worried check it out with GP

Sometimes a chat with an older practice nurse helps...........................................

stop worrying though,

Mrs M

• Posted

Hi jane 

i am 17 months  post meno now, ( age 50) but was just like you ..

i went for 8 months no period, then had another .. And before i felt soooooo sickly and had a 4 day and night headache...

my very last three the PMS was awful..

mine dropped to 3 a year, then 2 a year, then one, then bingo another period came, i like you got to the 8 month mark and thought ' oh maybe this is it ' but nooooo

then i went 12 months again after the last one of no periods and reached post menopause.

all confirmed  by Gyno ..

you could be nearing the end hun, dont despair.. 

Jay x

• Posted

Hello Jane

You are not alone.

My periods have 'stopped' three times (no periods for several months) and I was on the verge of binning all my tampons/sanitary towels because I though that was it. Then suddenly the periods returned, sometimes lighter, sometimes so heavy that I couldn't go further than the local shop and was trapped in the house. One period of flooding lasted at least ten days. I've just had another long gap but am holding on to my sanitary protection just in case.

It's a really unpredictable and unsettling time. Your mind jumps to the worst case scenario with every new symptom. The internet is good and bad for us - good because it has brought you to this very supportive forum where women going through the same experiences will console and reassure you, but bad for the reasons you describe - personally, if I'd had all the conditions I've self-diagnosed using Google I'd be in the medical book of records!

You have to speak to a health professional if you're anxious, I think.

Have a good look around this website and you'll find women of a wide age-range sharing their experiences of all things menopausal.

A big reassuring hug to you and be kind to yourself.

Val

• Posted

I am 55 and untill my last period 19 months ago I could go months without a period and suddenly they would start again maybe for a few days or a couple of weeks sometimes they were really light abd sometimes so heavy I would flood had to get tablets from doctor when they were like that.
  • Posted

Hi Jane

Bad as this might sound, but I am totally envious of you ladies who have already experienced irregular periods. I cannot wait!

Am still as regular as clockwork, even had equivalent of 2 Ps over Xmas/NY, bleeding for 19 out of 25 days.hoping that's a sign of change??

I'm never without wearing a pantiliner as a minimum, and carry enough San protection for 2 in any handbag, so I think I'm ready for missing them now - I'd be ready for a sneaky return too!

I'm sick of bleeding ruining my meagre social life. Think I've had a periodon my holidays almost every year - even when I've tried to work out dates in advance it always raised its ugly head.

Constantly worry about hygiene/smelling - I can smell IT but can anyone else??!!!

Would love rest of Jan to pass without bleeding. Would be ecstatic if no blob in Feb! I've given up wishing I could win the Lotto - missing Periods is my new Lotto Jackpot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.