Long Menieres vertigo spells happening again

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had Menieres for years. I had an endolymphatic shunt put in last July. I take meclizine 3 times a day still. Dizzy spells had lessened and were only lasting 10-20 seconds. It is March and in the last two days I have had 2 Vertigo spells lasting at least an hour each. They haven't been this bad in over a year. Any suggestions? I am in the U.S.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate.  Are you taking a diuretic and Betahistine?  Are you being very careful with diet....including eliminating salt, caffeine and liqueur?
    • Posted

I don't know what betahistine is or if it is available in the states. I take a diuretic, meclizine, lorazepam on occasion. I have cut caffeine, don't drink alcohol, and try to watch my salt. I am thinking it might be the salt. I just don't understand why the long spells have returned.

• Posted

It's so hard to get betahistine here sad I'm still looking for someone who will prescribe it. You have to get it from Canada or else a compounding pharmacy here.

All the best...hang in there!

~Mary

• Posted

Kate and Mary....it is easy to get Betahistine in the States....I live here, too.  Any compounding pharmacy will make it for you with a prescription.  Getting a prescription for it should not be difficult.  Any ENT doctor can prescribe it. If yours does will not, change his/her mind or find another ENT who knows better.   Insurance will NOT cover Betahistine, however, because it is not an approved FDA drug in the States and a 3 month prescription of 16mg taken 3 times/day will cost over $100.  Most patients will start at a lower dose of 4mg or 8mg three times a day.  It usually take Betahistine a month or two to be effective so do not give up on it. If you still have vertigo after two months on same dose request a higher dose.  Other than a possible skin rash (which will go away) there are no side effects to this drug. Now, knowing all of this, Betahistine does not work for everyone but is effective in reducing or eliminating vertigo for a significant majority of MD patients.  It is certainly worth a try,  Look up Betahistine on Google and read other MD patients' comments on this forum if you continue to have doubts.  Good luck

• Posted

you might be developing bilateral Ménière's. Same thing happened me.

• Posted

You had one surgery on one ear and then it developed in the other? I am not having any symptoms in the other ear........that scares me

• Posted

That's correct...had surgery on my right ear and corrected problems. About 10 months later started having Ménière's symptoms on the left side. The initial indicator was vertigo/balance issues. Get checked out by your ENT to rule in or rule out.

• Posted

Yes, yes and yes. But the all developed after the vertigo and not all at the same time.
  • Posted

Hi

If you need betahistine, you can get it without prescription online . It is cheaper than from the U S stores .

Google : inhousepharmacy.vu

But I suggest consult your ENT discuss and get prescription for safety for your record .

• Posted

Hi Kate, I’m sorry to hear about your MM symptoms. One thing to note about diet. You are trying to maintain a low sodium diet that ranges between 1000-1500mg per day spread across the day. Salt is one contributor as it is one part sodium and one diet art chloride. Sodium exists in many packaged and processed foods, so you need to read good labels carefully. I thought I had eliminated sodium by reducing salt intake and it wasn’t until I got the other spices of sodium under control or eliminated that my condition improved. I basically eat Whole Foods now. Lots of vegetables. I keep carbohydrates low. And I drink a lot of water. I do this while still taking betahistine and a diuretic. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.