Long menstrual bleed - normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi age 55, had a few night flushes and missed periods and now am 15 days bleeding - not heavy and no clots - is this normal or should I be concerned? Have a tendency to panic and think that everything will be serious. Also very low all the time and no enthusiasm ! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you sure it's 15 days?

anyway you really need to see your GP

common sense here, the people on this site can offer suggestions but we are not qualified as professionals,

please make an appointment

Peace of mind relieves anxiety confused

• Posted

Dear Marion best to get it checked, i had spotting on and off for about four weeks but had checks done first and it was hormonal in my case x
  • Posted

I think it is normal.  My last bleed was just over 4 weeks.  My longest was 53 days.  Just watch your iron levels.
  • Posted

Hi i am 57 just turned , still having spotting and the odd hot flush and  tiredness .. I eat healthy i have a large salad every day i don,t drink alcohol at all i don`t smoke .. Live a quiet life the only stress is when him indoors is stressy..

Never go to GP and never want to but if you are really worried and getting a gut feeling about your health go to the doctors.

• Posted

Yes, I think it's normal for you. I was bleeding for 23 days straight a week ago, and I'm fine because I take iron every day. I only feel wiped out when I stop. Also, liquid iron does not cause constipation, so it's great!
    • Posted

Hi hun

I was aneamic due to heavy periods. Was put on ferrous sulphate three times a day. Iron level went bck up so a locum doctor said I should stop them. Been back today for a retest and told the nurse I was feeling breathless again and getting palpitations. She said I was lowest level of ok and she feels I was taken off iron too quickly! !!!

You mention you take iron every day. Just wondered what you thought about this. Nurse advised me to go back on one a day till blood results are bck x

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I'm not in the medical field, but I agree with the nurse who advised you to go back on iron and take it once per day. I was told that one needs to take it every day to keep our iron stores built up. If you're still having menstrual cycles and your blood count is low again, I believe you need to continue taking it. I fully  plan to take iron daily until my cycles stop altogether--maybe not 3 itmes a day, but consistently. I haven't experienced the breathlessness or palpitations, but I get weak and almost pass out if I stop the iron. Just have your blood count checked every 6 months or so to make sure it's not too low. Hope that helps, and have a great day!
    • Posted

I agree, I am going to continue taking an iron tablet each day until I stop having periods
    • Posted

Although I was worried about having too much cause that can be just as badx
    • Posted

I'm also concerned about getting too much iron in my body 'cause that can harm my liver, etc., so I plan to take it once or twice a day, and then when on my period, especially on heavier and longer cycles, upping it to 3x. But, more than anything, I plan to get more iron through the foods I eat.
    • Posted

Yes I hear that but its difficult for me to get it through diet. I dont eat red meat only chicken and fish. My doctor suggested liver and steak but I really can't eat that x
    • Posted

Of course you have to do what's right for you--I love steak, but won't eat liver, but there's other ways to get iron. A great source is spinach, and I try to add black strap molasses in my coffee (even though I don't love the taste ;-), eat beets, etc. If you don't care for any of those foods either, just take an iron supplement. I've even read that Americans get too much iron, because it's put in our foods--fortified cereals, etc., in the same way fluoride is put into our water. But because we have heavy cycles we need just a little more so we aren't anemic. Don't sweat it, just do what you can.
  • Posted

When I had a very long time period of bleeding like this (consistently for maybe half a year) it turned out to be hypothyroidism. Not saying that's what you have, but how about a visit to your doctor just to rule various stuff out? Including a hormonal panel?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.