Long term anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

1st had anxiety early teens saw child psychologist it worked

Couple of years later I t came back but I didn't know it was anxiety as I now know it but I kept this my problem.

Coped somehow for next 12 years or so but with it getting worse and worse.

Blew up massively wife took me to doctors who diagnosed acute anxiety put me on sertraline 50 mg and I went to 6 group counselling sessions.

Again worked thought the pills were the magic answer again ok for about 12 months even came off meds.

But back again it came so back on meds which I have now been on pretty constantly for the last 7-8 years.

They do give me a foothold now but don't stop the anxiety or occasional panic attacks.

I have had another couple of talking therapy bouts but with no lasting impact.

Currently I now feel I am struggling again and it is impacting on my relationship with my wife and I feel I am withdrawing from life such as leisure activities friends Tec.

Currently trying to organise more counselling and thinking of discussing different meds feeling really down am I ever going to beat this.

Anyone having similar times or found the way through

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever tried to work out why the Anxiety, your condition seems the stem way back to being a child, sometimes if you know the reasons that can help.

I have problems with the Dentist and have to be treated in a certain way 

So to know the reason can help you fight the condition.

Good Luck with your proposed new course of CBT. Try looking back and understand if something happened back then, you never know, 

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Hard to say really. What meds have you recently taken?
    • Posted

Still only sertraline in various dosage.

Probably like most people with anxiety afraid to try something else in case I feel even worse.

• Posted

Try sticking to the medications you are on now,  If you are up for some CBT that is your chance to explain your concerns. Your CPN will explain coping exercises and techniues

Darkness comes before the dawn hopefully you will have a more positive attitude as the Evenings become brighter

Keep a Hold

BOB

• Posted

Hey Steve, I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety. I really understand how you feel as i have GAD and serious health anxiety. When they say that only you can save yourself,they are true, I used not to believe this but it has been proven to me several times before i give up again. Point is you have to try as hard as it is,to control your mind,to find something that can ease your thoughts,your anxiety. Only you can find this,maybe with the help of a therapist. I think it's really important to find the root of this and maybe it starts from your childhood (as most mental illnesses). Try downloading CBT for dummies,it's on pdf. Try meditating (it is really helpful but you won't see the results on the first days),try exercising (serotonin boost). You have your wife's support and that's really important! As for the pills,try to decrease them until  you actually cut them, the pills don't let you fight your problem and don't find the underlying cause of this,plus the side effects. I was on pills and it was really bad for me until i stopped them and felt better after that. Still anxiety but i'd rather fight it on my own with a little bit of xanax which you can take at times without side effects. Best of luck! 

• Posted

how often do you take xanax. I just joined this forum and am unabl to take any medication .Perhaps the xanax may be safe for me.
    • Posted

At first when i decided to start medication (bad idea),my therapist prescribed me seroxat and half a pill of a 0.25 mg xanax pill (so like 0.12.5mg)  3 times a day to ease the side effects. Of course i didn't take it 3 times a day and was trying to control myself. When i stopped medication and since then, I only take it when it's really bad and when i have symptoms that freak me out. If you take it everyday you have to take it for less than a month or you'll get addicted and have withdrawal symptoms,but if you take it sometimes and not everyday, I think it's safed and your body doesn't get used to it that fast.

• Posted

Thanks. That explains why my GP will not prescribe any anti depressants etc. I can manage without them but xanax sounds like a benzodiapepine .

I totally agree with the comments on here re medication.

I read that benzos and opiates should only be taken for very short periods. In fact opiates are only prescribed for three days as they are so addictive and the withdrawal is horrific.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.