Long term bisoprolol use - muscle pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, just joined this site - looks like some people on here may have a better chance of answering my question than my GP.

I'm a 42 year old man who has been on bisoprolol for 6 years. I was put on it originally for palpitations - think they were caused by stress and or as a side effect of being on omeprazole. I gave up omeprazole 6 months ago following advice form my consultant after an endoscopy showed I had no reason to be taking it. Anyway getting back to the bisoprolol, I take 2.5mg daily and since taking it I've always had a bit of muscle tightness and some headaches but nothing too bad as it comes and goes. Recently though the muscle pain (tightness) and carping is getting much worse.

I've been waiting more than 3 months for an appointment to see a rheumatologist - what I want to know is there anyone else on here who has had a similar experience with bisoprolol and if it is the cause then what's a plan to wean myself off it - my life is 100 times less stressful now and also without the omeprazole it may be time to try without bisoprilol - that is as long as I'm not dependant on it by now!

All help and advice much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon. I was diagnosed with AF about 3 years ago and put on 2.5mg Bisoprolol. I suffered gastric upsets (see previous posting) and was put on Omeprazole. All problems continued until I persuaded my doctor to take me off Ramipril (which I had been on for years). He put me on Losatarn Potassium (I think) and my troubles INCLUDING palpitations disappeared overnight. I feel much more cheerful and energetic and even doubling the dose of Omeprazole has not affected my recovery. I am considering again trying to drop my bisoprolol from 5mg back to 2.5mg. As I mentioned in a previous posting, I tried this only for the AF to return. Good luck Simon. I think the only way to get results is to keep hammering away at the medical services.
  • Posted

Hi Simon I was diagnosed with AF at the beginning of September last year and since then have been on 5mg Bisoprolol and 5mg Warfarin and 40mg Simvastatin and am experiencing neck and head pains which vary from bearable to severe. I am on a twelve month waiting list for ablation procedure but have been back three times to my GP to see if there is any way of relieving the pain but he has been no help at all. I have even seen a different GP but nothing has been recommended. I don't know what to do next! I am 77 years old and can do without this uncertainty. This forum is so full of problems surrounding the use of Bisoprolol that you would have expected our GPs to have picked this up instead of ignoring it. I have tried weaning myself off it but my blood pressure and pulse rate goes haywire. If you find a way of relieving your pain please let me know All the best Derek (Joiner)
  • Posted

Fortunately not had any muscle pains. Also on bisop 2.5 for 5 years

Have you changed exercise routine or diet?

Might the statin be the cause of your discomfort? Suggest you check the blogs only statins do cause muscle problems.

Suggest you might ask for alternative or just stop it for a period

Best of luck

Frank

I have refused to go on statins and control my cholesterol through diet

• Posted

Hi Frank, Compared to your experience with Bisoprolol I have some way to go. I have only been on it since September last year. I am new to this web site and have not yet explored all the forums but will do so eventually. I have considered your suggestions with some deliberation and might experiment with a Statins/diet routine to see if matters improve I did think about doing this at one stage. Regarding exercise I used to play golf three or four times a week but since my problems began I haven't played at all. Maybe I should give it another try you never know it might help. Many thanks Derek (joiner)
  • Posted

Hi Derek,

Would definitely recommend the suspension of the statins to see if symptoms improve.

From "tv Doctor" programmes they certainly say statins can cause muscle problems. My cousin who is 84 had bad problems and he did explain about the different type of statins and the dosages but it was rather too much info. for me to take in.

As regards bisop as you can read on here there can be many debilitating side effects.

Exercise and diet definitely help me.

Unfortunately had hospital appointment today and they are recommending an ACE inhibitor so will have to try that I suppose

Keep on not taking the tablets

Frank

• Posted

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'm at the end of my tether now, muscle pains and cramps are ridiculous - it's at the point of affecting my work now as I've had more than a couple of people asking if I'm ok!

Anyone out there with experience of side effects of bisoprolol in particular muscle pains?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.