Long Term Catheterisation issues - Advice sought

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 67 with long standing BPH, treated with blockers and finasteride, which has made life a misery for large parts. I've recently been catherisied (again) following retention. The urologist consultant at hospital suggested discharge with self-cath' in the interim between tests. However, when nurse instructed me in the procedure she couldn't get it past the prostate, she called for a urology doc and he only got it in with diffeculty and plently trauma. He consulted up and they agreed to send me home with catheter. Now I guess I'm looking at a TURP of some sort. I guess I'm too far gone for rezum. I can't see (nor face the prospect of) self-cath', so knowing state of waiting lists I see long-term catherisation ahead. I guess my query is..... what's the advice for living with cath? I know the hygiene stuff. However, the penis tip gets inverted at times, sore, the pipework moves about and the leg bag keeps going south. Surely there must be better ways to hold everything that is more comfortable and secure? Also, what about lubrication to ease discomfort and itching? I'm hoping to try a catheter valve to help retrain the bladder and at least solve the bag issue during the day. Anyone have experience of a valve no bag configuration? All help gratefully received.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a catheter fitted in hospital last november, finally had it removed this week, the 2-3mths before it was removed i was in severe pain,morning afternoon and night, dr didnt seem interested, gave me a few painkillers which didnt help at all. Now the catheter is out that pain has gone, when i mentioned the pain to the nurse in urology who removed the cath,she said it was probably due to bladder spasms. Hope you cope ok, if you get excrucating pain that is constant ask if it is due to bladder spasms.

• Posted

I tried a flipflo valve, didnt work for me, too much urine was bypassing the catheter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.