Long term cfs

Posted , 13 users are following.

anyone else had cfs really long term?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi June, I am 29 and have had CFS and Fibromyalgia for 17 years now. I am still unable to work and have no  real social life. The most important thing for me staying positive. I focus on what I can do and the people I have in my life.

Equally the support on forums such as this one is helpful. 

• Posted

I was diagnosised in 1997 with post viral encelphametis, then most vaccinal sand finally CFS. It has been a struggle. A year ago my doctor asked me to titrate off of Clonzapam, which had been prescribed for a cfs-related sleep disorder and anxiety. I feel better now than I have for years however, nothing close to "normal", 

Did you know that two weeks ago the medical-powers-that-be offically changed the name of cfs to Systemic Exertion Intolerance Syndrome? What do people think of the new name, besides too long?  Does it describe your symptons better? 

• Posted

That new name looks highly pejorative to me. I would think most people would read that as clever speak for lazy. It makes me deeply angry that the Powers that be should be so disdainful of so much suffering.
    • Posted

Hi Karin,

Just to clarify and from what I have read and understood.

Systemic Exertion Intolerance disease is placed in the WHO classification of disease, it will be a big step for us as the NHS uses WHO codes when we are diagnosed. Currently ME CFS and post-viral fatigue syndrome are all linked under G93.3 in Neurology.

The current version of the WHO classification system is due for republication with an updated version sometime this year (2015) We don’t know where this new SEID diagnosis will be placed, in the classification system or even if it will make the new WHO revision, so sadly nothing might change for the time being… but if it does it will be of great help in treatment of ME/CFS.

• Posted

I have mixed feelings about the name George and thought that posting the infomation might encourage people to think about the ramifications. I read about Systemic Exertion Intolerance Syndrome in Lancet & US Institute of Medicine (IOM). The IOM Journal has the refined criteria. I agree that can be mistaken of laziness, but even under the old/current name I assume that LAZY is ME / CFS middle name - according to many doctors.

I would appreciate it if you or anyone else would read the journals online and discuss your thoughts. I just checked access and if you type in the new name you should be able to access both journals.

Since medicine is founded on emperical principles they are going to insist on having criteria that can be replicated across that globe. It appears that the new set of critera may be more realistic, but then there will always be skeptics (doctors). When I meet such a doctor I have to keep myself from wishing that s/he will get ME/CFS- they really have no idea.

What do you think about having a new discussion on the new name / criteria?  

• Posted

I forgot to add, the good news is they clearly define ME/CFS as currently understood as a disease. This is important as many previous reports refer to ‘condition’ or ‘Syndrome’ avoiding the disease word, so this is a move in the right direction. I understand the 300 page document does quote a lot of good solid sources and takes overwhelming biomedical approach which is also good to hear.

• Posted

Thank you Dragontest. This is a very important topic and well worthy of a discussion in its own right. We need to understand what goes behind the new name, the effect of a new name on people who haven't studied the details and whether any attempt should be made to have the name changed by substituting the word disease for the word syndrome. 
    • Posted

Dragontest, Systemic Exertion Intolerence Syndrome is the name that the American Institute of Medicine put forth along with new critera. I don't know what the process is for the international medical community to change the name. I don't know what WHO is doing on the matter. The name change just came out on Feb 10th. I found out the information accidently, I'll check with or National CFS association (Canada).

Do you think it would be useful to write a short review of the journal articles (IOM & Lancet) for this site, I'm fairly new here. I've had ME/CFS for 17 yrs and it's been a struggle to say the least.

• Posted

Thank you Dragontest for correcting syndrome to disease - my mistake.
    • Posted

Hi Karin,

I think it would be worthwhile to write a short review on the articles. 

However, I do wonder if the change in name and classification will affect the perception of people with ME in the general public eyes? Action for SEIS doesn't have the same feel as Action for ME?

I guess it’s the knock on effects that need due consideration?

The change in name could also confuse people a tad and it could just become an umbrella term for anything Fatigue related, which the term ME, doesn’t don’t you think?

It could all depend on how good of a PR job the WHO (World Health Organization) does at raising awareness of the disease and linking the past know names ME and CFS to the new one.

• Posted

Hi June ive had cfs for 25yrs I took a virus and it effected the back of my head they said it was my brain stem as the nerves go all over the place and the pain is awful my balance is effected my breathing my blood pressure and my eyes poor concentration but I'm not sure that cfs is my problem have not managed to find anyone with the same as me could u tell me what type of symptoms u r having. Angela 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.