Long term chest pain - should I get second opinion?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all - my story will be very familiar to most people here, but I really need to get an opinion on my symptoms before I go back to my doctor. 

I am a 36 year old healthy female - 4 months ago I went to the doctor with chest pains. I had ecg’s, 48 hour Holter and an echo. They diagnosed me with a slight ectopic beat and a heart murmur - both of which they said are completely normal. I also had bloods tests done, lung function and everything is fine. 

I am still getting these dull pains, behind breastbone and up into my shoulders. My other weird symptom is pins and needles/tingling in my chest, neck and sometimes face. I feel this all through the day, from the moment I wake up, so strange? 

Obviously I am pretty anxious about this - which I know doesn’t help my symptoms. 

Doctors just won’t listen to me now because they think if echo is ok, my pain isn’t heart related. They mentioned costrochondritus but I gave up the gym so surely the pain should be improving, not getting worse? 

So I’m looking for opinions here - should I go back and ask for more tests eg chest X-ray, stress test?

Thanks in advance! 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Moonbeam27, I've been seeing so many of these symptoms here as you and it's so strange that doctors don't have any answers for us; too weird...Well, I've taken 2 blood pressure meds. Lisinopril and Metoprolol and I know that they both give me pins and needles sensations throughout my entire body; all extremities included, a sensation of numbness as well and it's scary, but if i don't take the meds which I've done, these symptoms go away within 1 day.  Injuries have also given me pins and needles sensations in my jaw and chest too and it's the first time I've experienced that kind of sensation for pain instead of a usual pained feeling; weird feeling, but it goes away. I also get what feels like hollow circular balls of pain behind breast bone and in shoulders and upper chest close to arm/joint areas and I now just tell myself it's probably gas and my brain is interpreting it as something more serious because I've never felt this kind of pain.  i've also thought that neck problems and lower back problems have contributed to these sensations.  Could also be vitamin deficiencies possibly so i  try and go  in the sun for a few minutes without sunscreen; 10-15 minutes for vitamin D.  I go longer than that, but i know some are very conscious of the suns rays.  I even think it can be a problem for the dermatologist or it's just the way our bodies are interpreting how a blanket feels or how a fabric feels on our skin...Seems that we can't always get the reason as to why we feel what we do so might as well  put some moisturizer on it or ice or heat or drink some ginger ale...I wish i could be more helpful to you.  When I research online I get the scary reasons for symptoms, but I don't feel sickly; just strange sensations that do eventually disappear for me so hopefully the same for you...I think exfoliating our bodies from head to toe or taking nice hot baths and showers can maybe alleviate these symptoms or even get rid of them along with exercising.  Pamper ourselves and do a cleansing to to speak on our epidermis (skin, body) as well as stretching to get out any excess air and to get the circulation going.  Sometimes these symptoms that can't be explained get put in the fibromyalgia department also..I've done that too with myself.  When our bodies get overstressed, maxed out i think these kind of strange symptoms can happen, but eventually we will lose them...Good luck and good health to you...I've also been recommending chiropractors and wish my insurance covered them.. 2 of My family members have had good outcomes by seeing them and getting their bodies re-aligned and such...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.