Long term citalopram use

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi there, I was on citalopram for 10 months and tried coming off, but it didn't work. My doctor thinks I have a low mood and continued use of  citalopram would be good for me. I have to say, I do feel much better on medication than off. Does anyone here take citalopram long term? Have you had any problems? Thanks.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Been 10 years for me know hun! initially i was on 10mg for about 4 years then went to 20mg as felt extremelly panicky then last year went to 40mg due to a nervous breakdown. i have to say Cit has saved my life, i have felt so much better for the last year, i decided im going to do 1 more year and if i stay solid with noo mishaps then i will very very slowly come off x
    • Posted

That's good to know, I was a little worried about it. I'll stay on citalopram for a couple of years and then come off. 

Thanks for the advice. I hope everything works out well for you x

• Posted

Hi ive been on it for 4 yrs and still cant manage without it,although i have managed to get down to 20. My only problem as been weight gain :-(
    • Posted

That's good to know - not the weight gain though :-(  My doctor has asked me to think about it and it's looking more likely that I will. 

Thanks for your help x

• Posted

I have taken it for 4 years started at 10 now on 40 mg never been so happy.
    • Posted

Thanks Richardt, it's good t know people have a positive reaction to long term use. I do have a question, I hope you don't mind my asking. You started off on 10 and have gone up to 40mg. Was that over a long period of time or did your doctor decide early on 40mg was 'your dose' so to speak?

• Posted

first 2 weeks on ten then 20mg after a month it went up to 30mg, after 3 months 40mg, if u feel u still feel nervous, unhappy etc after 2 weeks all u do is tell your gp that u need the dose increased, are you in good books with your gp.
    • Posted

Great, Yes I can increase my dose if needs be. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 
  • Posted

I have been on it for 2 years now, moved up to 40mg over a year ago. I am in a great place now, all relationships are a lot better. Work has improved dramatically. I gave up drinking when I started taking Citalopram, it has changed my life completely for the better. Weight gain is the only downside for me, but still I rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable.
    • Posted

Yes, weight is an issue! Thanks for getting back to me. I find all theses responses really encouraging. 
    • Posted

Finally someone else with a weight issue,wish i could think like you, but my weight gain is making me feel worse .
  • Posted

I have been on in for 10 years now and am so happy with my life.  I really want to come off it now though and think this is going to be a big challenge. Doesn't seem to be as much help coming off drugs as there is to prescribe them. 
    • Posted

I'm glad you feel better on citalopram. Yes, coming off is a fear if I take it long term. I came off after a year and it didn't go well. Hence the long term use. Thanks for reassuring me that it still works after 10 years.

i only tried coming off for 2 months and all I will say is, listen to your body/mind. Ask someone to keep an eye on you and let you know if there are any big changes. My husband said I was utterly unbearable, I just thought he was being really irritating!! You always have everyone on this forum to support you too x

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram for 11 years. Started on 20mg but on 10mg for last few years. A few months ago I decided to withdraw and see what I was like off it. I did it gradually by reducing the tablet over 2 months and had no withdrawl symptons. I was pleased to achieve giving up and at first I felt it was ok without them but after a few weeks my mood got really low and I have been unbearable: everything makes me angry/irritated and not sleeping. The only thing that did improve off them was I don't get restless legs at night. This week I went to the doctor to discuss it and she said that some people need them for short term to get them through stressful situations and others need them long term and not to see it as 'failure' if i need them. So have started on 10mg again and hope I will get back to where I was. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.