long term condition

Posted , 6 users are following.

does anyone else have very long term generalised anxiety disorder i saw my first psychiatrist in 1990 and im still not well yet. tried loads of therapys and drugs. i wonder if it'll ever be normal its something that goes up and down through the years but i may need to accept it in the end. i get tight headed feelings ive been going private lately to be seen a bit quicker. has anyone else had stories like these

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had it going on for 3 years and stopped out of nowhere and then bam hit me harder than ever
  • Posted

These things can be long term,but it can also be that the root cause hasn't fully been dealt with. There is always a root cause,I've been in long term therapy too,which helps me deal while I'm in it,but I know that the real root issue hasn't been resolved. Until it is,the anxiety and depression won't go away on its own. Medication will not resolve any issue,they aren't designed to
  • Posted

I have had anxiety disorders for years, but mine have mainly been because of the NHS itself. I first of all was meant to have a straightforward septoplasty operation on my nose years ago, and it collapsed, I then needed two major operations to repair it, and I took out a litighation against the NHS in Staffordshire. I developed breast cancer at the end of that court case, which then resulted in another medical negligence case against the NHS as I was left very severely disfigured and ended up suing the NHS again, which went on 7 years, that finished a couple of years ago. The medical care I originally received at Bolton Hospital Lancashire resulted in two more major surgery in a burns and plastics unit in Chelmsford for breast reconstruction. I have found that all my dealings with the NHS have only served to make my anxiety disorder get worse, mainly because they never hold their hands up and accept any responsibility for the botched surgery they sometimes dole out to people. I suppose you could say my disorder has risen and fallen over the years due to the incompetence of the surgeons I have encountered. There really ought to be a more humane way for the NHS to act when their operations go wrong, there are some cowboys amongst them, and I always seem to be subjected to their inferior care unfortunately.
  • Posted

I've had it for about same length of time. Like you, tried various anti depressants and therapies, but to no great help. It has fairly impacted on my life. For me it would appear there are genetic reasons for it so no root cause as such. Somedays the upset of it all gets toomuch, but just got to convincemyslef that someday it may get better
  • Posted

I'm 25, and as far as I'm aware I've been dealing with anxiety for 15 years. My parents would probably argue it's longer than that, probably life long. Most of mine is medical.

I have a very rare condition, which meant hospital visits when I was younger, almost got taken to China because it was so rare! It wasn't life threatening but then at 15 I had a seizure, and have since been diagnosed with epilepsy. Although, I'm not convinced and do think that perhaps the seizures are to do with the condition I've got since I've only had 4 in the space of 10 years, but it's so hard to get any answers because there are no doctors that really know about my condition. Now it's a constant cycle of "will I have another seizure" or other bloody medical things. I hate taking medication or going to the doctors so I feel like I'm stuck. That being said, it can get better, I went 6 years without a seizure without taking medication, it's only since the latest one this year that my anxiety has flared up again.

• Posted

What meds have you tried and are you on any just now?
  • Posted

Glenn,. the only medication I take at present is prozac to help with depression, partly due to all the surgery I have had go wrong. I believe that if we were allowed to take more control over our own healthcare perhaps there would be less litigations against the NHS. We are under their control too much. We need to be educated in taking responsibility for our own healthcare as opposed to the way we let the NHS continue to be control freaks,and mastermining everything concerning our wellbeing. Do you agree?
    • Posted

hi yvonne i too am on prozac 50mg. i agree with you that we should haveĀ  more say. its a 2 way thing doctor and patient our views and opinions are just as important
    • Posted

It's very secretive society when you think about it the NHS. There is very little we know about what really goes on behind our back, unless we work for them medically I suppose. That is what is so wrong about the way they function, there is no real openness with them, we are all treated like babies as though we have no intelligence at all and cannot contribute in any way towards our own healthcare. We just grin and bear them. I find it so overpowering and I hope in time things will change and the people who want to be more involved in monitoring their own healthcare will should be encouraged to. We should be allowed the responsibility of our own body instead of the antiquated way it is still ran. The NHS by continuing to function in the manner it does denies us our human rights in reality. We allow ourselves to be manipulated by them just because we don't have the medical knowledge they have. I think the general public just needs to be educated more in to not being forced to be lazy over their own care. Automatic paper copies of everything which is said about us medically as we go through life would be a start to those who us who opt for them when we attend appointments, and give us a chance to see if we agree to what has taken place during the meeting. Do other people agree?
  • Posted

You do know diet plays a huge roll in all this. I dont understand why everyone ignores this. Its a fact. Yes it mental, and negative thinking patterns big time but there are real, very suppliments that help the body relax and stregnthen the adrenals from all the attacks they undergo. B complex, magnesium glycinate, vitamin D, b12 sub lingual ginger and basil and co enyme q10 help profusely with anxiety. At least scientifically the body is armed. Then obviously therapy is very useful as well. Alternative to benzos is l theanine as well. Drugs are a go to in extreme emergemcy they shouldnt be the first line of defense at all because they are all short term, addictive and alter the body chemistry as well as effect vision in the long run. Yes great if you need to function, not against the, but i dont understand why no ine gets the scientific based nutrient deficiences and suppliments needed for the human body to,properly function. Just throwing this out there because it seems its never addressd enough or people do not follow up with it. I have had anxiety for thirty years and have done meds but cant now so in that experience i went to alternative and dieticians and it really does help. It hinestly helps. Who knows what the root cause is, and scientists cant seem to,pinpoint it universally but defiencies are huge today thats a fact. The soil isnt as good at all so the food isnt as nutritious anymore and all the processed foods are out of control and people laugh that off and now one of seven walk around with mental disorders?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.