Long term condition

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with GA in high school. After cortisone injections, it went into remission when I was 19. It returned shortly after I turned 30, and for 14 years, I have tried everything... Plaquenil, psoriasis treatment, cortisone injections (100s), acupuncture, mangosteen, LED therapy, topical creams, etc., with no relief. It’s starting to get worse. My doctor is hesitant to try anything other than what we’ve done and keeps saying that I am an unusual case. Meanwhile, I am 44 and have been in outbreak for 14 years... I am glad I found a forum. Any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ellen.  I totally understand having it myself since early 2002’ish.  The one thing that has helped but not totally has been cortisone shots I have received periodically over the years for different issues but sun bathing either fake bake or the real thing.  But take note it just made it look better. I have it on my torso under arms and in bad out breaks down my legs
  • Posted

Oh Ellen I feel your pain!  I have had an active case of GA for 5 years now.  When I see a new spot I go for an injection of cortisone and it disappears.  Then I go back in about 3 months with 3 or 4 new spots.  Same thing over and over.  It’s relentless.  But I usually get only one or two new spots every 3 months.  Plaquenil “cured” my GA but I went off of it because it’s “scary” and I ended up with shingles.  So no that’s all I have got!  No way to get our immune to stop turning on us.  It’s crazy so many autoimmune diseases running rampant.  My poor sister has Addison’s and now has celiacs so I consider myself lucky with this one.  Sorry no good news from me.

Anyone else?

Any scientists out there working on a cure for autoimmune disease please share!?!

• Posted

Dear Ellen,

Sounds like it could have something to do with your immune system, whereas

Mine was due to medication. If it really

bothered me I would find a teaching hospital with an immunology department, find someone to write/e-mail to and state your case.

• Posted

I also feel your pain..... I am currently doing a no gluten, no alcohol, very clean eating cleanse..... its been about six weeks now, I can't say

I've noticed to much difference, but on the plus side its not growing..... am I am quite a few kg's down..... STAY STRONG!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.