Long term consequences of Glandular Fever

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm a twenty three year old woman. I have been sick with Glandular Fever for almost four months. All symptoms still present with no improvement, sore throat, swollen glands, fatigue and muscle pain. I got a diagnosis quickly as my best friend had Glandular Fever so I knew to ask for the blood test. While she has returned to full health (guess who infected me and made me sick due to her carelessness) I am not getting better. Unlike some people whose stories I've read, I have not been bed bound and have continued working without informing my employers of my illness. However, living with this disease has made my life a daily struggle. Anytime I'm not working I am resting in bed. I hardly ever socialize anymore and spend most my time alone. Even before I became ill, I never drank or smoked, and I ear healthy. However, I am worried about developing Chronic Fatigue or MS as I am not recovering. I am afraid in the long term I will lose my job to this disease if it becomes a chronic illness. I have been to GPs and they can't tell me how long more I'll be sick or if I'll get better. I fear that I missed my only window of recovery because I continued to work and didn't quit my job when I was originally diagnosed. I'm now facing the prospect of being sick for the rest of my life. And the thought of that makes me wish I was dead.

1 like, 142 replies

142 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Laughably, according to my doctor, because my spleen and liver function are back to normal, I'm out of the "acute" stage of GF. Which is utter nonsense, because I'm still so ill. He also claimed thst Chronic Fatigue isn't real, when I voiced my concern that I now would be in the Chronic Fatigue danger zone, having failed to recover within six months. He asked me to return in July , but I feel like it's pointless. There's nothing anyone can do for my illness. With the recovery goalposts constantly changing, I find it difficult to believe that I will ever recover. As my contract ends in September, I have decided not to tell my employer. If my contract isn't renewed and I lose my job, then I'll be forced to move back with my parents and accept my fate. But I will continue until I'm forced to stop. If I'm going to be sick and miserable, might as well be supporting myself instead of being a burden on my family.

• Posted

Hi Sickanon,

What an awful time you've been through, I really do understand those feelings because as Mono said we have been through them too and there is nothing worse than feeling so hopeless and out of control - but just want to reassure there is hope.

The first six months is BY FAR the worst thing you will go through with this, there DEFINITELY is recovery after that, I felt exaclty the same at the six month mark too really started to doubt if ever I would see improvement - it still took a bit of time but there was a real turning point after that at around 9 months for me - it's different for everyone it may be quicker for you. Please don't worry about Chronic Fatigue because it is normal for things to go on this long (despite the fact it seems not according to some), and it is normal that you will make a full recovery after that too (often when you least expect it as Mono says).

Just so sorry you've having a difficult time with your job and everything, maybe if you told them they might be more understanding, but I know you will know that situation better than anyone - just hoping your family is supportive at this time, I'm really hoping there is someone there you can talk to - please do talk to someone you trust about how you're feeling because if they are close to you and care for you they will understand - you're not a burden to anyone and it's just a tough time at the moment, but you will emerge the other side of this stronger and healthier - you're young and still have lots and lots of good times to look forward to. I know that's hard to see at the moment but I truly believe you will get better, hang in there and ask God to help and heal, He won't let you down. 

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. My mom and I are close, but she doesn't really understand what I'm going through. Plus, most of her time is occupied with taking care of my older brother, who is on the autistic spectrum. My dad works all the time, so I've never had much contact with him, even when I lived at home. Because my best friend was the person who infected me with GF (she visited me when she was ill) our relationship has become very strained. She recovered in under three months, so she also doesn't really understand. My boyfriend has been amazing and supporting (and already immune to GF, thank God) but I know that my illness has placed a massive burden on him. I fell ill shortly after I moved for work, so he is my only real support. I don't share my feelings of despair with him though, he is optimistic that I'll make a full recovery, and I haven't the heart to tell him that I've lost hope. However, I fear its only a matter of time before he questions why I'm still not better.....To be honest, I feel the only ones who really know what it's like are people who have suffered with this disease themselves. Hence, I appreciate the kind words of everyone on this forum, but I don't feel like I can really discuss my illness with anyone. I think one of the toughest things about losing my health is that for the first time in my life, I feel utterly alone. Nobody I know in real life can relate to suddenly (and possibly permanently) being robbed of your health and happiness overnight.

• Posted

More than anything, I'm absolutely terrified that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to be honest.

• Posted

Hi Sick Anon,

I really do understand how you are feeling, it's awful to feel like you've been unwell for so long and still struggling to see progress - has it been about 6 months?

I just want to offer some hope and reassurance - there DEFINITELY IS hope still. After 6 months, I felt the same as you, like I was always going to feel that way and was stuck and had to adapt to a new way of life and there was not going to be a full recovery. However, it DOES still come - the time scale is different for everyone, for me it took 9-10 months to see a big turning point, but by far the period that you have been through - these first 6 months - is the worst and recovery lies ahead after that period.

Please try not to worry about Chronic Fatigue syndrome, often the doctors scare monger and write people off as having that if they've not recovered inside 6 months. I totally believe this is wrong, your body is still recovering and for the vast majority of people this is not the case - you are young and your body will recover most definitely, but remember it's been through a real battering with this virus so it takes time to recover, and let me tell you that I FULLY BELIEVE that you will make a TOTAL recovery Sick Anon, so please hang onto hope and ask God to help because He brings healing.

Thinking of you and I know it must be doubly hard if you feel those around you don't understand or are unable to talk to them - if there is anyone though you really trust please do try to talk to them, because if they truly care about you then they will understand and support you. You don't have to carry this burden all by yourself, and at the very least there is people on the site here you can message with.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words. I have been sick for around six months now. The thought of being this sick for another six months ( or permanently ) is pretty frightening. Hopefully I will see some glimmer of recovery soon.
    • Posted

I have also spoken to my mom about some of what I've posted here. She still thinks I'll recover, and refuses to seriously investigate the possibility of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome till I've failed to recover within a year. I don't have the means financially to fund any further medical visits, so I have no choice but to wait for now. I will probably post here more, it's good to talk to others who know the reality of this debilitating illness

• Posted

Hi Sickanon,

I felt the same way at six months and then I started having good hours and then days and now I am feeling much better, it will happen it just takes longer for some of us.

• Posted

Hi Sickanon,

It's so tough I know, just sorry to hear things have been so hard at the moment. Definitely be reassured that the first 6 months, what you have went through, is by far the worst - things might not still be perfect right away from here but you will find the intensity will decrease and things will get easier, hopefully bit by bit or sometimes it just comes suddenly in a short space of time.

But remember you definitely WILL get better, your mom is right you will make a complete recovery still. And there is no doubt in my mind about that - Mono is right too, trust those that have been through it and have been in the same horrible position of feeling lack of progress and hope - trust me that will pass over and new strength and hope will come again.

Trust in God and remember just take it one day at a time, that's all you can do and not look too far ahead. Just hoping for a good and settled spell for you from now on - thinking of you.

Craig

• Posted

Hi sickanon and all the others replying on this thread. It gives me great comfort to read anything I can about gf/mono. And that it is normal to have it for a year. Chronic fatigue was a fear of mine but after speaking to people and reading others experiences I realise you have to listen to your body and go with the flow and I will recover , I am determined to recover. My glandular fever was a really nasty 40th birthday present, I woke up,with a sore throat last oct2016, diagnosed dec2016, so approx 7 months in. I didn't have a sore throat, but I do now and I'm up and down, I had a fantastic 4 weeks in April but then it's been pretty rubbish since then, so tired, hot legs, nausea, feeling unwell. I have, to a certain degree 'let go' and just go with it now, seeing as I can't do anything else and am just wishing the weeks away until it's gone..... You will get better, it's tough, I know, I hate it. Oh and the emotional side is awful, I can be so teary, but I will say I am mentally stable and positive. It just makes you cry. Stay strong, just think, you're six months in and someone out there is just starting their journey!! 

• Posted

Hi 40,

The depression is as bad as the sickness, mine went away when I started feeling better, I knew I was not depressed in the traditonal sense and that it as part of the illness, not fun at all, just now starting to feel like myself again. Be careful not to overdo as you recover.

• Posted

Hi monotoo, yes not depressed in the traditional sense. And def part of the illness. I am slightly scared about the not over doing it, I think when I do feel really great I'm still going to take it easy, as I said in April, I had four amazing weeks, thought I was nearly better, then wham, it hit me again, so scary and frustrating.thanks for replying and for the support.

caroline 

• Posted

Hey Caroline,

Thanks for sharing your story too, it's such a horrible illness. October seems to be such a common month for getting the virus, it was the same for me going back 10 years ago. I was the same as you by the next June I was up and down, thought at one point I was making progress but then went right back the way again. But then after a spell in July when I had some weird joint pain and muscle pain, I started to see some real lasting progress starting from August - just hoping that can be the same for you (if not even sooner).

Just wanted to write to offer hope and reassurance, that you will get better too and you have definitely weathered the worst of this after this length of time - so frustratingly weary and long lasting as it is and must have been. Thinking about you and remember there is still full recovery and health ahead - 40 is young and lots of life and happy times to look forward to ahead. God will bring healing I truly believe smile

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it helps enormously when you're going through such a difficult illness.i feel like you have given me the hope that I will recover fully.... All I want is my normal life back, the amount of time to get over it is just so long. Thanks again to take the time seeing as your illness was 10 years ago! 

Caroline.

• Posted

You're very welcome Caroline, I remember how tough and life changing the whole experience was to go through and like so many others on here went through those terrible and seemingly endless months of wondering what was going on and if things would ever get better and feeling hopeless and helpless - the worst feelings in the world.

But definitely Caroline it is normal I've learned for your body to take this time feeling this way with this virus and then still make a full and complete recovery - and I do believe that will be the case for you. Would also recommend taking some good vitamins and herbs to boost your system, a good strong multi-vitamin, B complex vitamin for energy levels, high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg to 3000mg per day), and an immune boosting her like echinicea or siberian ginseng. These can only help your body cope with things better and strengthen again.

Thinking about you and hang in there, and I do fully believe truly honestly and genuinely that you will make a full recovery! Trust in God with that one!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.