Long term dietary problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a type 2 Diabetic who has  a dietary problem, I have an intolerance to wholemeal foods, and some vegetables. Now I know these  are 2 main stays of a diabetics diet but they can be at times quite debilitating for me. 

Anyone got any ideas on what I can eat as a replacement?, I have tried the 'best go both' breads but get the same problems. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, not sure what veg you do or dont eat so here's a few suggestions. Even though corn, broad beans, potatoes, peas, butternut squash are starchy, its a good balance to keep in the diet, just being aware more of the portion sizes. Then theres the high fibre low carb like green beans, spinach, broccoli etc. I personally hate greens but needs must as the diabetic devil drives! Brown rice is ok as its digested more slowly hence a gradual sugar rise and not spiking.

Porridge...my top tip. Love it and it's high in soluble fibre and again, slowly digested so a nice gradual energy release.

Another nice addition can be beans and nuts as they are complex carbs, again digested slowly, sustained energy release, yada yada yada.

Obviously though, all the above are also knowing how much, as each of us diabetics have their different limits etc.

Hope that helps a bit to give you some ideas. If not, post the items you're sick of eating and we can see what viable replacements we can think of!

Good luck.

• Posted

Unfortunately, I have difficulty  especially with green vegetables and any pulses which is a pain in the neck as I love most veg, eating these can be debilitating, I also love porridge which I have for breakfast, I have no problems with that, I'm actually a fussy eater and have gone off some foods, because of the effect they have on my digestion.
  • Posted

Hi suzanne30809

Have you tried gluten free bread for the health food shops? Also what kind of veg do you have problems with ?

• Posted

I have tried glutton free but it tastes awful unless it's toasted.
    • Posted

gluten-free bread is improving slowly. I suspect my Genius bread is by no means the best on the market today - please anyone tell me their favourite g-f bread. I have to toast the Genius to mke it edible.
    • Posted

I find that most G/F bread doesn't taste very good.
  • Posted

One last thing, what kind of problems do you have when it comes to green vegetables?
    • Posted

They cause me quite severe abdo cramps and diaorreha which at times can keep me at home I daren't go out. Don't get me wrong I will often eat green vegetables and take the consequences but only if I know I don't need to go out the next day.
    • Posted

All that I can suggest is that there is a medication that your doctor could write up for you, which is very friendly on the system and other medication. It is called Loperamide and it comes in 2mg dose and you take one, twice a day.
  • Posted

Try a diet sheet from the nurse or NHS nutritionist. Kind regards Sue
    • Posted

I have a diet sheet, but when that diet sheet tells you to eat high fibre foods which they do as they are supposed to be healthy foods, not everyone can tolerate them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.