Long term effects of 6 gram Ven overdose?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just over a week ago (4th Sept)  I crushed and swallowed around 6 grams of venlafaxine in a suicide attempt, I quickly realised I didn't want to die and called for help from parents and 999 for an Ambulance. I had 3 full seizures, was unconcious and not breathing, my heart was beating out of control and cardiac arrest was feared but thankfully didn't happen. Also my body temperature was over 40c at one point. 

I don't remember much of the experience, i was taken in ambulance to A&E where I continued to seizure and suffer repsiratory arrest, I was then admitted to intensive care in a critical condition and hooked up to all sorts of monitering equipment, heart moniters, ventilator and IV lines. I spent 3 days in intensive care and was moved to a normal ward on Monday where I spent another 1.5 days in hospital before being dicharged home.

It's been nearly a week since I came home and I am still in a lot of pain (from the seizures) At least once per day I have a dizzy spell with the feeling like I'm about to pass out and a sense of 'losing time' where I can't recall what just happened, I also feel very slow and sometimes can't can't get my words out that I want to say, also brain zaps happen quite a lot. 

I am worried I may have caused long term injury to my brain and cognitive functioning. Does anybody know what the likely long term damage (if any) could potentially be after a venlafaxine overdose? I am taking it easy and trying to look after myself best I can and I do have a lot of home help from friends/family.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have never overdosed so I can't say anything about long term effects, but your cognitive functioning looks good to me if you can write a long coherent letter like that! I expect your friends and relatives are very glad you changed your mind about the suicide attempt so quickly.

A lot of the effects you describe sound a bit like extreme standard withdrawal effects - particularly the brain zaps.  

Memory lapses and inability to get words out sound like the effects of depression. I recently withdrew from 37.5mg twice a day and had similar problems with brain zaps and, when the depression returned memory lapses, slowness and inability to get words out. Now I'm back on the drug the confusion, etc. is disappearing.

Are you on medication at the moment?

• Posted

Hi, Yes i am still taking Venlafaxine so not sure why I should be getting withdrawal symptoms. 

The periods of dizzyness and confusion are more alarming for me and also have collapsed/blacked out twice since coming home causing further minor injury to myself. And I have no recollection of actually falling, sometimes difficult to focus when reading for example.

I am at the Dr's this afternoon so will discuss what has been happening to me since leaving hospital. 

• Posted

Glad you are ehre to discuss your experience. I suffered withdrawals while still taking Effexor due to an increase in med for a week and then stopped the increase and went back to my original amount. Withdrawals were horrible even with still be on 75mg. try taking supplements as well to get you back on track a bit ie: Super Vit B, Omega 3/6/9, Calcium/Magnesium. My withdrawal lasted a month that time and as I said I was still taking the med at the time. It is a strong medication with nasty withdrawals. You are going to have to be patient and let your body readjust and heal itself. 
  • Posted

I overdosed on Friday.

Quetiapine 900mg

Paracetamol 21980mg

Venlafaxine 2250mg

I cannot remember getting to hospital or going to ward.

I was on drip for 24 hours.

Heart was monitored constantly.

It is now Monday . I have had clean blood results. But not on any medication at all. Waiting to see what doctor says tomorrow

• Posted

I cannot remember getting to hospital on the Friday evening I only know what happened from what I've been told by family & nurses.

I was drifitng in and out of conciousness all of Saturday in intensive care and started to come round on the Sunday, I was in a huge panic as I was hooked up to all the monitering equipment and had drips in both arms and an oxygen mask on also a catheter inside my bladder. Heart rate and body temp coming down by this time as well.  

I tried to get out of bed but I couldn't as my legs felt like jelly and very painful due to the seizures and I was off balance, they took me off the drips on Monday morning and then that afternoon I was moved in a wheel chair to the HDU. 

Very distressing, and I don't want to go through that again. ever. 

• Posted

Also been to Dr's today and have some antibiotics to treat a UTI, and I gave blood and urine samples as they want to see how my kidneys are performing after the overdose. 
    • Posted

I remember getting on ambulance.

My blood results are ok so far. Had 10 lead heart trace done as quetiapine can mess with heart.

Do not know how long will be in.

• Posted

All I remember is seeing the blue lights outside the house, then I have no idea, I apparantly had my 1st seizure when I got in the ambulance where I diced my tongue from biting down in a fit. 

They won't let you out until all your vital signs are within normal range, Took me 3 days before I was in a suitable condition to be discharged from intensive care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.