Long term effects of PE.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I had a massive PE in December 2014. Following that recovery seemed to go well. Warfarin for six months then taken off it. However reecntly I have been experienced worsening shortage of breath and pains in the LH side of my chest. I have had ECG's, excercise tollerance tests etc and all seems fine but the symptoms persist. I am going into hospital next week for a bicycle excercise test, echocardiogram and scan. Has anyone had these sort of symtoms after so long?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I had a large saddle P/E in January 2015, now a lifer on Apixaban.  I still get shortness of breath and chest pain.  Have been tested and nothing shows.  Suggestions included pleurisy or scar tissue damage as a possible cause but nothing conclusive.  My GP says it can be anything up to 2 years for anything like recovery.

• Posted

Hi Allexie. I had heard that recovery could take a long time but the worrying thing is the return of old symptoms. Hopefully the hospital stay may well explaing things. Thanks.
    • Posted

hi there 

old/new symptoms could be triggered by any number of physiological, psychosomatic or environmental reasons.

• Posted

Hi nick I had a massive pulmonary embolism in February this year and I'm exactly the same. I've just had results from a lung scan and I have an appointment in September to see a consultant. Any exertion leaves me breathless even having a shower. I'm hoping they can do something it's so depressing and debilitating. Kind regards Linda

• Posted

I am in hospital later this week for tests so hopefully will get some answers.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi, wondering if you are still around site? Breathless exertion is a problem since bilateral p.e s. Did you get any answers.
    • Posted

Hi Ann unfortunately no ! I'm still the same and because I get so out of breath my heart has became enlarged.. I have another appointment with the cardio consultant in June. I feel I will never get better and it's so depressing. 

• Posted

I think i am going down same route. So long since pe but cannot get breathing back to normal, and hate when i get pain, its friigghtening.  I am also getting more depressed as the professionals dont have an answer.  Still on apixaban, wondering if might be better on something else.
  • Posted

Had various tests and it seems as though my heart has suffered some damage during the PE causung shortage of breath, pain and tiredness. Waiting for further test results and the prognosis. Back to see consultant in 3 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.