Long-term effects of quetiapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience of quetiapine?  I'm not sure if it is working as well as it used to.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

What is making you suspect that the Quetiapine is not working as well as it used to?

What dosage are you on?  And, lastly what are you taking the med for?

I have been taking SeraquelXR (long lasting, Quetiapine) 200 mg a day  & Quetiapine at night

(up to 75 mg) to help with sleep.  I have bipolar disorder. Can't really say that I notice a change in the effectiveness over the 2 years I've been taking it.

I do have some reservations in taking an anti-psychotic to enhance sleep. I was prescribed the medication initially for mania and the doctor has kept me on it.

I wish you well and hope that you find answers.

• Posted

Thank you, Karin.

I'm on 450mg daily plus 200mg of sertraline.  I was diagnosed with bipolar 2-3 years ago, although I have experienced more lows than high/manic periods.  It does help me sleep - which is great - but I am suffering more and more with periods of what I can only describe as agoraphobia.  Sometime I feel an 'electric' type twitch in my brain - nothing painful - just rather odd.

• Posted

Lithium worked wonders for me. I also have Bipolar was diagnosed when I was 21 I'm 28 now

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 two years ago after years of being ill.Im 48 yrs old now! Iv had 2 very real manic stages but on the whole i suffer more low mood. For many years i was prescribed antidepresant after antidepresant and they made me worse. I found Sertraline did not agree with me at all. i felt physically and mentally

awful and couldnt come off it quickly enough!

I was then put on Quetiapine 300mg and the worst side effects have been weight gain and awful restless legs. To help with the restless legs the tablets were changed to modified release ones and i came down to 200mg. I now take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night. I was quite tired at first but now my body is used to them this isnt too much of an issue. I also take 300mg of Pre-Gabalin for  anxiety. I do wish there wasnt the weight issue but for my Bipolar iv found Quetiapine to be a godsend. I hope it continues to work for me for as long as possible!!

I hope iv been of some help to you.

Take care

Lorraine

I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.