Long term effects of vitamin deficiencies?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a concern, I’ve been doing ridiculous “elimination” diets to treat my gut issues and to try and get to the bottom of what was causing flare up reactions and what wasn’t.

I got overly caught up in just eating one thing and neglecting many other food groups.(this was the past years on and off. (From the start of 2017-to end of 2018.lol, not anymore now) I started developing folate deficiency and probably vit d deficiency and god knows what else a while ago.

I did start to lose some bone mass and muscle mass due to these extreme eating styles. I also would get bad brain fog and memory problems and my ability to process information slowed down. I would say all those deficiencies have been corrected since then. My memory and mental processing ability has improved a lot but still not 100% but not sure if that’s to do with my stomach problems, cause i have dealt with brainfog my whole life so it may overlap.

I’ve been eating a well balanced normal diet for this entire year but my question to you is. Do you think I have inflicted irreversible damage onto my self or I recovered?

Maybe a better question is, how long can a human last being vitamin deficient until doing serious damage to them selves? As in irreversible damage? I read that it can only become permanent when the deficiency is left and not corrected, leaving it to become very severe.

I would sporadically have influxes of lots of nutrients couple times a week and then return to this restricted diet, ie almonds, ground beef, berries, squid, olive oil, berries.(not much room for folate rich foods, also I had stomach problems which would make malabsorption a greater likelihood)

Would it be glaringly obvious that I suffered vitamin deficient induced brain damage or just quite subtle?

I’ve been reflecting on this recently and have been quite concerned. I’m a 25 year old male btw.

Thank you for taking time to read this. Appreciate all feedback.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Honestly, i have been fine without taking vitamin tablets but i take them sometimes nowadays. They are supposed to help in the long term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.