Long Term Esomeprazole Use

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi being taking 40mg esomeprazole for 8 years, no adverse reactions, no B12 or magnesium deficiency. GP asked me to reduce doze in November from 40mg to 20mg daily, happy to try as obviously do not know what happens in long term, I was doing ok until I got a virus early January and chest infection and now have reoccuring pain in centre of chest, when I press my sternum the pain is bad and it spreads across breasts and sometimes but not often into back, I also burp a bit more and sometimes especially when eating bread can feel my food getting stuck, no weight loss, no loss of appetite, coughing up blood or anything, just wondered has anyone else tried to reduce dose and if so did you get pain in sternum area. Starting to convince myself I have oesophogeal cancer, no reason why I should just getting a bit panicky am only 55 and it is usually more common in men. Have been to GP with pain and had ECG and was told pain due to cough and virus, had bloods which came back good. Had an endoscopy 5 years ago unsedated which was hell and quite honestly I am scared of having one in case they find something bad. They found nothing then. Too much of a coward to be honest every little symptom for anything could be cancer and with the advert if you have had heartburn daily for 3 weeks it could be cancer it is enough to send you loopy.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My GP asked me to reduce my dose, I did it and symptoms reappeared, returned the dose to previous and symptoms went away. Have you tried that?

I would not have an endscopy without sedation. Its simply the NHS trying to increase throughput, SImply refuse and say you want sedation, its then a very pleasant experience as you know nothing.

Why worry when a simple trip to the GP and probably a referral can get the matter cleared up. Remember cancer needs to be caught early so if you continue to worry  and do nothing, you could in theory be bringing death closer, bet you don't want that. Its most likely absolutely nothing so don't delay and chat to an expert.

• Posted

When I started to reduce Omneprazol the pain was excruciating... yes thought I had every cancer going and several ulcers... I don't and it's eased off a lot now. I hardly take any indigestion or reflux meds now... Just spent a day digging the potato beds even had a chicken lunch with no medication.... That was impossible to do even ten years back when they put me on this stuff. Doc said my B12 was normal even though three hospital tests said it was very low whilst on Omneprazol. I am so happy I came off this drug...it actually masks the symptoms that could warn of any problem. Good luck and dont give up. I found two tablespoons of good Saurkraut plus a daily two teaspoons of coconut oil and a few liquorice sticks throughout the day was enough to stop any real problem and if I was going to eat a high protien meal I take a Betain with Pepsin. I am going out to have fish and chips with my daughter so will be taking a Betain with me.... I could not even do this happily when on the Omneprazole so I must be doing something right. The pain will go... but it can come back suddenly but no problem because it is manageable with the above. I had a weekor two of what felt like battery acid gas coming up in my throat... very scary and made me wheeze a lot.. that seems to have stopped but must control what I eat.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have taken 40mg today as pain worse, yes you are right I need to go back again to GP and ask for test. Went earlier in the week and gp pressed all down front of sternum area and it was agony said it was due to cough and to go back next if pain does not go after finishing antibiotics. I will go because as you say I want to be around for a good many years yet.
  • Posted

thanks Christine will perservere and get my diet in hand. I love liquorice, not sure about the saurkraut though. Enjoy your fish and chips, what is betain?
  • Posted

Betain with Pepsin is a dietary suppliment of Hydrocloric acid with Pepsin It helps digest protien and may sound crazy... but I never get any reflux now if I take one before a protien meal... don't need it every day but fish and chips was an exception.

Yes it took me a while with the Saurkraut but I am now making my own because I like it somuch and it really helps me.

• Posted

I can only say what others have said , go and get the endoscopy done and then you will at least know whether its cancer or oesophagitis or something in between these two. I would definitely insist on having sedation as this will make things easier for you, though you will have to wait in recovery for an hour or two longer, it's worth it. 

My husband had Oesophageal cancer and died of it within 9 weeks of diagnosis. he waited nine weeks from first telling me he had symptoms of difficulty swallowing to actually getting the GP to do anything. He put it off and so did I. Not sure if it would have changed the dreadful outcome as his OC was very agressive.

40mg omeprazole is a moderately high dose and Gps usually want you to reduce to 20mg if you can. I have been on 40mg and am currently on 20Mg and at one time got down to 10mg but had to increase when I started taking ibruprofen regularly for back pain and sciatica. I manage my central chest pain and refux by going for acupuncture for many years. It is worth a try as it can be used in conjunction with western medicine.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your husband, life sucks when things happen so quickly. Now really panicky as have had pain on and off since early January. So will go to see GP, but things around here do not happen quickly I have been waiting since November to have a small skin cancer removed from face and still only seeing plastic surgeon on Wednesday to discuss what to do. With regard the swallowing it is only when I eat something like bread, I have not lost weight or coughing up blood or anything like that, just pain moving across back, but this could easily be indigestion and sore skin by sternum. Will make that appointment today. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.