Long term gastritis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I had an upper endoscopy done recently and I was diagnosed with gastritis (I also have had GERD for most of my adult life). The more I read about gastritis the more I become discouraged becuase I'm finding that most people are put on proton pump inhibators like Nexium or Prilosec, then their gastritis is cleared up. But I've been on 40 mg of Nexium daily for about 7 months now, and my gastritis seems to only be gettig worse.

- Has anyone else had gastritis for as long as 7 months?

- Also, has anyone been diagnossed with H. Pylori and are living in developed countries with clean water? I ask this because H. Pylori can cause long-term gastritis but is more common in under-developed regions with no access to clean water. So I feel like it would be impossible for me to get this bacteria where I'm living.

Anything would help! Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you thought about taking anything on a natural basis? Even massage thearapy because they work on stomachs too. I have a certain oil I rub on my stomach and sometimes take with honey that helps a lot.
  • Posted

So I feel like it would be impossible for me to get this bacteria where I'm living.

Have you been checked for H. Pylori or not? If not then (but this seems impossible for me)  get checked. 

How do you know if your gastritis is getting worse? Have you gone to another endoscopy procedure? If yes were the results at least slightly better?

Otherwise, fix your diet completely and go to a psychologist or some homeopath, this could help.

Also please provide more info...

• Posted

I am hoping my doctor checked me for H. Pylori. He never spoke to me after the endoscopy and I only received a piece of paper stating I had gastritis which may be due to taking too much aspirin (which I never take) or H. Pylori. I have an appointment on the 26th.

I feel like the gastritis is worse from 7 months ago because my abdominal pain has gotten worse and more persistent. Symptoms include heartburn, nausea, change in bowel movements, sharp/stabbing and sometimes dull pain in the upper left area under my rib.

• Posted

I had an endoscopy and the doc said I had inflamation ( gastritis ) with no mention of H PYLORI though. At my next appointment though , he said the biopsy was positive for H PYLORI. So I took the treatment. So I'm sure at your next appointment you'll find out more.

• Posted

I guess the doc spoke to you directly after the gastroscopy (?), what he saw macroscopically (gastritis) and later at next appointment had the histological result of your biopsies in his hands, where the microscopic test (one can see the bacteria stained in slices) plus positive urease (metabolism test on biopsy) was positive for H.pylori.

H.pylori cannot be seen in gastroscopy, only in histological work-up afterwards and that takes time.

• Posted

H Pylori is actually much more common than realised. Have you been tested for it?
  • Posted

I live in the U.S. and I had H Pylori and gastritis for 8 months before it was diagnosed through an endoscopy. A truly hot title ecperience. We have clean water. I've read and been told by doctors , that most people , throughout the world have the bacteria present in their body , but it usually doesn't cause problems , unless the immune system has been compromised. A lot of elderly people have problems with it. But it can also pop up for any age group. I took the triple antibiotic treatment for 2 weeks. All the neausea finally left but my abdomen is still sore a bit. Gonna get retested in about 3 months. But symptons have pretty much gone away.

• Posted

If you don't mind me asking, what were your gastritis symptoms?

• Posted

I had three post 4 days ago and have yet to figure out why they've been deleted by a moderator. I try not to encourage anyone to do anything except toseek help from qualified people. You asked what my symptons were and I answered. So , for the life of me , I can't imagine what they found wrong in my answer.

• Posted

It all depends upon economies in each country and how utilities are dealt with. In the US and Europe there are good supplies of water and limited bacteria in it. Everyone on this site is transfixed by this bug.  I would google the sources of how we get it and see if that helps you.
  • Posted

I have had both. Gastritis and GERD symptoms for more than 7 months at a time and also H. Pylori. Not sure what sources you are informed by but it has been my impression that H.pylori is way underestimated and def does not need an under developed or poor area to be present. Further it is my own opinion and impression that Western medicine is completely missing the mark on eradicating the bacteria in patience. Again that is my opinion. We are talking about microscopic organisms that I believe can be missed and assumed to be killed with administration of certain antibiotics. Isn't everyone different? AND aren't bacteria tending to become resistant to antibiotics? Further the prescription of proton pump inhibitors and the likes create a depencency for them and cause an oversite of the original cause for the sphincter to close in the first place. We NEED our stomach acid, but we also need it to stay within the assigned anatomy. You may want to research Manuka honey and mastic gum as natural supplements and try to figure out what is causing your sphincter to stay open hence reflux....(can be anything from hormonal to eating too much of a certain food, to an environmental toxin like mold or allergies causing it) hope you get it figured out. We are all different, but our modern medicine seems to have one or two applications for everyone with a similar complaint and then we are sent on our way.

• Posted

I did a basic google search about causes of H. Pylori and found that it is common in areas with not a lot of access to clean water - this is from a department of health website. Obviously this must be wrong because I am finding that a lot of people can get it, regardless of where they live.

I will research Manuka honey and mastic gum. Thank you for the suggestions!

• Posted

Darlings, you can get H.pylori transmitted from person to person....simply by kissing. One does not need contaminated water. ;-) 
    • Posted

....and I guess people kiss as much in developed countries as everywhere else. That's what I wanted to say with this statement. cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.