Long term health problem with no financial help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I literally have no idea where to turn;

I've had chronic pain in my chest since I was 12, I'm now 24, in which over these long years I have been misdiagnosed, had notes lost and not been taken seriously. I have, I think, a pectus carinatum on one side with a twisted sternum. This has caused major major implications on the cartilage around the ribs on that side. They would constantly swell and change shape with chronic pain to the point where my whole right side of my chest would expand and swell even further out of shape if I did anything as little as raise my arms above my head.4 months ago I had ravitch surgery to correct this, they removed all the cartilage from the lower ribs because they were completely abnormal, as for the higher upper ribs, the majority of cartilage was removed whilst leaving a small amount to secure the ribs to the sternum. The lower ribs were stitched to the ribs above it. I left hospital with a chest drain in which had its own complications and I ended up having it for 3 weeks. I am currently at the 4 month stage of recovery. The pain is excruciating, and I have infection after infection in that area. I am currently waiting for another appointment with the surgeon. In all this time I have worked part time up until I was 17 in which I worked full time. I had to leave work 2 years ago because of the pain, constant time off and different experimental procedures. I tried to claim for ESA and PIP benefit in which I waiting over 6 months for a decision, I had a ESA interview before the operation and they scored me 0 points and told me I was fit to work. I appealed and got the same decision. I had my PIP work interview 3 weeks after the op, 2 days after my chest drain was removed and I was told the same thing. I am fit to work. I have no income, living on credit cards that I maxed out yesterday and I am over in my overdraft. I literally am at the end, I am so depressed and I have had to move back in with family. I feel like I have been totally let down by everyone and I need some advice on where to go from here, if there is anything I can do. Thanks

1 like, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi amy37063

    A question, when you were in hospital did you contact the social services or PALS for assistance with your problems. They can usually help you.

    also, you said you work. Is there an Occupational Health doctor at your employers? If there is then they should prepare the paperwork on your behalf with the help of your GP.

    Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.



  • Posted

    Contact your local CAB with a view to taking the appeals proceedure further. They employ benefit specialists who can help you.

    To help them take as much documentary evidence as you can such as hospital letters, a list of medication, names of those who can vouch for you (GP, OT or even someone close who knows how you suffer).

  • Posted

    I agree with Anthony here. Go to Citizens Advice Bureau. Many years ago they helped me get my DLA back.

    Good luck.

    Take care and keep in touch


  • Posted

    Thank you all so much for your advice and help. I am absolutely stunned at how quick and kind you all were on this issue. I have arranged a meeting with the citizens advice and will update you all on the outcome. Again, thank you to all you kind souls so much. It's been so refreshing and needed to see so many giving advice and just wanting to help.



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up