Long term health question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. Genereral question - if I take a 15 mg oxycodone once a week starting at age 40 for the rest of my life, will that have long term negative effects? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I don't know much about that drug but am I right that it is an opiod? We dont have this drug in the UK but we do have similar - codeine, morphine etc. Why would you be taking it just once a week? Is 15mg a large dose? Is it a slow release drug? If I could have some more information about it I can help you more.

• Posted

Hello. It is an opiad, so probably similar to what you were talking about. I don't know if 15 mg is a large dose and I don't believe it's a slow release drug. I take it for recreational use only. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

I cant imagine it would do any damage, you will likely develop tolerance over time so your dosage may be increased, these kind of opioids/opiates are normally used short term following injury or operations as they are highly addictive and can cause dependence. May i ask why you've been prescribed this medication? X

• Posted

Yeah, I already had to go from a 10 mg to a 15 mg because of tolerance. I haven't been prescribed this, I just have access to it. I take it for recreational use, but don't allow myself to take it more than once a week because of potential damage. Just want to know if my once a week habit would be harmful over many years. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

I've been on high dose opioids for pain, for years post injury. I've developed a fatty liver and really bad bowel problems which is causing me to be on constant laxatives. I'm currently on oxycontin and oxycodone so yes, long term opioid use is risky. Especially if mixing with other opioids or medications, other drugs or alcohol. Just be aware of this. All opioid use has risks.

• Posted

Thank you for that. I'm not mixing it with anything else. And have NOT allowed myself to have it more than once a week for a couple of years now. Just starting to worry about long term damage though. Thanks again.

• Posted

as someone who has been dependant on painkillers i will say its a very slippery slope, i started thinking i was in control then it became the other way around, if you want my honest opinion i would not use this drug as a treat i would use go for something more natural, but you are your own keeper if its something you want to do just be careful, never take more than you should and of course stay safe. all the best to you darling x

• Posted

Thank you. I'm trying to be smart and stay aware that is is very addicting. I've been able to just do it once a week for a couple of years now, but just starting to worry about long term damage.

• Posted

you are very unlikely to do long term damage on such an infrequent dose. good luck with everything dear.

• Posted

It should not cause too many issues, the best thing to do is stick to a certain dosage and try not to take too many or go to high in dosage at one time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.