Long term insomnia effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've lived with it for years and managed to live and function well enough. My problem is not getting to sleep but wakening after about two hours and having difficulty in sleeping again. I usually get up for about forty minutes until feeling ready to sleep again. Sometimes I do but other times get up again. Eventually another hour and a half sleep before wakening again and that's it.

Recently I'm more bodily tired and drag myself go around with tired eyes and a dull head. I've tried sleeping pills and other remedies in the past without any benefit. I'm long retired so have no need to get up early, if only I could sleep till noon 😃

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

An added problem from my debilitating tiredness is feeling cold and my body temperature is seldom over 95F (35c)

• Posted

Hello, again derek sorry to hear you are suffering like this. I suppose you've tried all the usual stuff? Gentle exercise, warm bath keep bedroom just for sleeping, stick to regular times, no watching tablets or phones , warm bedtime milky drink don"t take your worries to bed write them down etc? I have persistent loud tinnitus and when I first got it I couldn't sleep for weeks. Add to that sleeping on a wedge or sitting bolt upright putting pressure on your bony coccyx and it makes you want to get up and do the ironing

I did what you do stopped fretting about it and got up and did stuff.

I try not to nap in the day but what really helped me was audiobooks. Like being a kid again having someone read a bedtime story! Not sure if that's any use to you or not. Being retired changes a lot of things you begin to feel you don't matter anymore I think but time is probably more precious now than anytime? Good luck.

• Posted

Even when I had a dog to take out at night I did not sleep well 😃 Baths waken me up at night and I admit to using my computer till I go to bed and I love being retired. I retired when I was 59 but now of course I can no longer travel the world but it had become hassle with security and overcrowded airports.

I resist napping during the day even when struggling to keep awake in late afternoon, My wife goes to bed before me and falls asleep with the radio on. Our present one cannot be set to go off after an hour.

Happy Dreams

• Posted

In short, insomnia sucks. 😕

Sorry to read about your struggles again, Derek. As you know, I too drag myself around in an exhausted state, trying to convince myself that the sleep I get is enough. when it obviously isn't.

My wife sleeps like a log, too. I think that's good, as much as I would sometimes like for her to understand what I'm going through, still I don't wish this on anyone, and also I think two insomniacs in one home would only feed each other's insomnia. This way at least some level or normalcy is maintained.

Have you tried sedatives? Not that I'm pushing them, just though they might get you some relief, short term, if they work.

Isn't it terrible, having a whole day for yourself and just spending it in a vegetative exhausted state.

And I too wonder about long term effects of all this,but like someone already said, they are impossible to measure objectively.

• Posted

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep. You might want to try getting a pair of block blue light glasses and wear it few hours before sleep. It will help.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.

• Posted

I have always had milk milk at night but in recent times it has lain heavy in my stomach.

• Posted

You might want to try sleep meditation. I started listening to the honest guys music meditation bedtime. I try to quiet my mind and not think of anything. At times I actually can doze off.

• Posted

Most nights I get off to sleep OK. My problem is waking up almost exactly two hours later. I get up for awhile and hopefully back to sleep but soon waken up again. This happens three times and I end up with more difficulty in getting back to sleep each time.

• Posted

Its past 4 in the morning as im writing this, I have suffered from what you would call 'chronic' insomnia for nearly 2 years now, before that i at least could get some sleep 3 or 4 times a week. Now i am lucky to get 2 hours of fitfull sleep a night. Just cannot get to sleep. When i do manage its in snatches of 30 mins or so. After 3 or 4 days of this i used to catch up and sleep for 6 hours or so but not anymore. I barely function like i used to. I suffer from Rheumatoid arthritis as well so my sleep problem worsened. Somone in the comments mentioned sleeping tablets. I think docs have been scared off prescribing anything like mogadon ect so now give you advice like stop smoking, dont drink alchohol and so on. Ido wish any fellow sufferers luck in finding some effective help . If you are feeling like me i would give almost anything for one good nights sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.