Long term mirtazapine use and taper part 2

Posted , 2 users are following.

1st part of the saga is here if you are interested haha https://patient.info/forums/discuss/long-term-mirtazapine-use-taper-withdrawal-so-far-507675 ;

To Summarise,

On Mirtazapine for 9ish years, mainly 30mg and then 40mg. Tapered and stopped completely between january and April. Was ok for a month or so then quit a few other things whilst dealing with some bad personal stuff. Nosedived from there and i ended up reinstating at some point around June/July time at 7.5mg.

I Started tapering 3 weeks ago. My scales aren't 100% but i believe i took 6mg for 10 days and 5mg for ten days. Took a crumb of the stuff on Thursday and have had nothing since then.

Effects so far have been Itching (constant if i think of it but bareable) Nausea, reduced appetite and reduced sleep (down from 7 hours to 4/5).  These started as soon as i started reducing the dose.

When i got to this dose the previous time i was having a lot of trouble with anxiety, and getting twitches in my eye lids and also what i read being refferred to on here as brain zaps, which were worse at night. Not had any of these at all this time except a little anxiety but nothing too troubling.

Sorted out a lot of problems i had since i last attempted and now it is just this i've got to deal with so it should be a lot easier than last time.

I lost 2 stone on the last attempt (I was slim when i started) and only put 1 back on. As long as im sleeping then this is the only thing i can see causing me a problem. I won't be able to lose 2 stone again!

Other information that may be relevant

Im 27, male, not on any other prescription medication, smoker, and i've had a decent mood the past couple of months. No other illnesses either.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi muleton.

Thumb up for you and wishing all the best in your fight!

I am 28 male, nowadays being on 7.5mg and getting ready to taper to ZERO. While on Mirtazapine, have you ever noticed the malaise feelings (general feeling of illness, cold, start of flu)?

• Posted

I noticed the flu like symptoms when i initially lowered a dose, once i was stable on that dose the symptoms went away. 

I'm coming off Mirtazapine because of the mental effects it has on me, yet it's the physical effects that make coming off it difficult!

The last few days i have felt like i'm getting the flu, i was expecting it to be worse than what it has been though. 

Main problems are itching and nausea at the moment.

Good luck to you

• Posted

Been off for a week now. Itching is still there but i've taken a hay fever tablet the last 2 days and that has made it manageable. Nausea isn't as bad as it was the first few days but i'm still eating because i know i should rather than because i want to.

Generally colder than i normally feel with a few hot flashes thrown in for good measure. Sweating a bit and i look terrible but nothing i can do about that. I'm sleeping about 5/6 hours the last 2 nights but i'm fatigued.

Really happy that i've not had brain zaps or major anxiety like the last time. The only mental thing i've noticed is that i'm very quick to anger, but i've not snapped or shown in any way that this is happening to me so i'm not upsetting others.

I'm much more optimistic than i was last time, but i'm also aware that i'm at the stage where things can start going down hill!

I'l be relaxed after 6 weeks smile

Good luck whoevers reading this

• Posted

What i'm feeling now is no worse than a hangover. I was an alcoholic for quite a few years so i'm ok with this sort of feeling. If you are usually fresh and healthy it will probably seem worse to you.

Every cloud an all that smile

• Posted

Muleton, wish you will go better and better! I follow you
  • Posted

After nearly a year of this **** i think i can finally say i'm done with it smile

Lack of appetite and insomnia were the last two symptoms to stop causing me problems. I've felt well for about a week now smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.